• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Anyone ever try to smoke a veal breast?

Started by Smoking Duck, January 03, 2009, 06:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

The grocery store had some in the meat section.....I assume they were a special order that someone ordered but didn't pick up as I've never seen them there before.

Anyways, they had the veal breat on sale for $1.31/lb which I thought was a very reasonable price, however, I've never cooked/smoked veal breast.  It seemed to me to be part brisket/part spare rib in texture.  They were very small in size (about 2-3 lbs) and they had 3 pieces.  I just couldn't pull the trigger as I have no experience and wonder if anyone here has.

Thanks!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Habanero Smoker

I've never cooked them. After doing a search, they sound like an interesting cut to cook. Most recipes involved stuffing them, but from the area they are cut from I would smoke/cook them like short ribs.

I'm doing a batch of short ribs today for the the first time. I'm going to season some with just kosher salt and coarse pepper, and season the other Asian style. I'm figuring 1:40 hours of oak smoke or maybe the J.D. bisquettes, and a total smoke/cook time of 6 hours at 220°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

I did the search like you did, Habs and there definitely were some interesting ways to cook them.  The breast definitely had a good mixture of fat and meat which led me to believe they would be great smoked.  I think the normal price was around $5/pound but they were marked down $1.31/pound.  Maybe I'll talk the wife into letting me go back there and I'll try them with some pics.  Sounds like they haven't been done here before and maybe I can be the guineau pig.

SD

Habanero Smoker

If you get them definately post how they turned out.

My short ribs are still in the smoker, and hopefully I will be taking them out around 6 PM.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Smoking Duck

Got my beef center cut ribs in the rub and refer right now.  Gonna smoke tomorrow.

Hokey cats was the membrane tough as Hades to remove!  Really gotta get a pair of catfish skinning pliers if I do that again.  Much harder for me than pork ribs.

SD

Habanero Smoker

I had the same problem. Since each short rib was cut individually, the membrane was only covering bone, so I left it on, and concentrated on removing the silver skin that was on the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.