A Duck and a Chicken

Started by Jon, January 21, 2004, 04:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon

Brined overnight, cut out the spines, and opened them up so they'd cook faster. I put the duck on top, and the chicken underneath, and smoked them at ~220 with Pecan for 3 1/2 hours. The chicken was done perfectly, clear juices, 165-170 internal temp, and the leg joints coming apart easily. Based on that I bet the temp was closer to 250 down where the chicken was. The duck was a bit underdone at 155-160, but 30 min in the oven finished it off.

MallardWacker

Jon,

The birds look great!

Do you normally split your birds?  Do you like them better that way?  It seems that everyone is talking about pecan wood, I must get some.  Being in Arkansas (<font color="red">GO Pig-Sooie</font id="red">)the tendency is do everything in hickory, then for a change you might try hickory again.  My last chickens, 7 pounders, I did with mesquite.  Didn't come out like I thought they would.  Misquite to me is better for just plain grilling and not for smoking.  Keep the pics coming.

SmokeOn,

mski

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

MallardWacker

Jon,

The birds look great!

Do you normally split your birds?  Do you like them better that way?  It seems that everyone is talking about pecan wood, I must get some.  Being in Arkansas (<font color="red">GO Pig-Sooie</font id="red">)the tendency is do everything in hickory, then for a change you might try hickory again.  My last chickens, 7 pounders, I did with mesquite.  Didn't come out like I thought they would.  Misquite to me is better for just plain grilling and not for smoking.  Keep the pics coming.

SmokeOn,

mski

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Fuzzybear

Hot dang, man those birds look delicious!

If my BS gets here, I'll post the pics of my chicken just as soon as I can!

Good job Jon!  When's the picinic??[;)]

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Bassman

Hey Jon, how did you post the picture?

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

Kummok

"If my BS gets here"?!?!?!? Fuzzybear, tell me it ain't so!!!  I coulda brought mine down to Glendora by dogsled by now....you GOTTA be hungry for smoke!!

P.S. to Jon
That is one GREAT lookin fowl. Looks loke heart food to me[:p]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

Richard Pearce

<font color="navy"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Yeah Jon, how do you put those images in?!</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="navy">[8)]
Richard Pearce

Jon

I didn't "post" the picture here. This forum doesn't have a picture poster feature.

I just posted a link to the picture which is hosted on my website:
http://www.rallystuff.com/images/smokin06.jpg

To insert a link so the picture shows up, click this button when you post...