4 rack vs 6 rack

Started by wischermit, January 06, 2009, 04:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wischermit

Ok.. I'm a newbie here.. getting ready/trying to decide which Bradley to order.. I've been lurking/reading tons of stuff on your forum & learning bunches!! Other than the obvious difference..does anyone have other helpful hints to help me decide which to order.. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks!

Smoking Duck

As you'll be doing a lot of smoking in a colder envronment, the 4 rack will retain heat better than a 6 rack just due to it's size.  Do you do lots of meals for larger gatherings of folks?  IF you do, perhaps the 6 rack.  If not, then the 4 rack will be able to handle a good amount of meat to smoke as well.  I find that I can handle all of my smokes with the 4 rack pretty easily and if the item I'm smoking (jerky, cheese, etc) I have extra racks that can be inverted on top of the other ones so that I can double the amount of racks, if needed.  If you haven't already, check out the blue link at the bottom of my signature line.......yardandpool.com does a great job of customer service and will get you hooked up real good no matter which unit you decide.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

wischermit

Thank-you..This will be our first smoker.. We're basically wanting one for smoking/cooking venison..brats, cheddar polish, summer & italian sausage, etc.. Some friends had a business where we used to take all our stuff, but have since retired & sold all their equipment..So we started looking into smokers & Bradley's are it!! With all the good things that I've been reading that you folks prepare, I'm very sure I'll be using it a TON!! Just yesterday, saw the cabinets/set-ups that a few folks posted.. I definitely want it inside our one barn, so all these new ideas are rolling around upstairs too  ::)

I've checked out Yardman's website.. have my list made out..Getting pretty ansy..

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum wischermit!

Lots of good people and info here.

As far as 4 vs 6 - after I bought my OBS 4 rack, I was coveting a six rack for the capacity. After adding a PID to the OBS, I decided that there was not any advantage to the DBS 6 other than the six racks. If I expand, I would probably buy another OBS and PID. I can get about 32lbs of Prok butt in the four rack, I'm not sure I'm ready to process 48 lbs...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

Welcome to the forum wischermit!

I could'nt agree more with what FL stated, if I expand I'll go with another OBS and PID setup!  You can turn out alot of food with the 4 rack especially if you utilize your indoor oven for cooking!  Good luck and keep us posted!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!