Do you ever have extra smoked garlic?

Started by Smoking Duck, January 06, 2009, 03:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

If you've ever smoked garlic and get overzealous (like I do) and smoke a little more than you can probably use before it's reached the point where you're afraid to use it for safety reasons, you might like this.  It can be used as a side or as a main dish.

Smoked Garlic in Olive Oil Pasta

I used:

1 pound of pasta (I like angel hair personally, but any pasta would work)
4-6 cloves of smoked garlic, minced (I use 7  ;D)
about 1/2 cup of EVOO ( I use between 1/2 and 3/4; depends on how "slick" you want your pasta)
2 T fresh parsley ( I prefer the flat Italian over the curley however, curley will work as well)
3 T of red wine
Salt and Pepper to taste

While your pasta is cooking (usually 7-10 mins for al dente), heat olive oil and garlic in a heavy pan (I use cast iron).  Try to get the garlic to a yellowish color; hard to tell with wine).  Once garlic is softer, remove pan from heat and add parsley, salt and pepper.  I use smoked sea salt to taste to add a little more smoke flavor to the pasta.  When pasta is cooked, drain and place in a bowl.  Add the olive oil and smoked garlic mixture to the pasta and toss.

You can really add whatever you want to this to match your tastes.  I've done this with minced clams, diced shrimp, any italian seasoning.  This is also good and basic without the smoked garlic but sometimes, we have meals that aren't smoked (for shame!  ;D) and I'd like a little something that throws a smoke flavor in there without overpowering the main meal.  This works excellent to achieve that goal and like I said before, I always smoke more than I think I'll need and like to use it rather than toss it.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Tenpoint5

That sounds really good Duck. I never thought about smoking a whole garlic bulb.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smoking Duck

I smoke them whenever I do cheese......always in a cold smoke.  If you've ver got room while doing a cold smoke, throw some in.  Remove most of the papery skin on the head of garlic but leave some there to hold the cloves together.  Put a very thin layer of EVOO on the garlic and then let it soak up the smoke.  As I said, the garlic will provide a touch of smoke but in no way overpowers the pasta or the main dish.  Really simple and can be made in about 8 minutes, total.

It's not a new recipe by any means but if you're searching for a side, pasta makes a good side with certain dishes.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra