Pizza - Sicilian w/ Sausage !

Started by deb415611, January 08, 2009, 07:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HCT

Thanks fpr posting this debs. I haven't had a 'good' sicilian pizza since I was living on Long Island, many lifetimes ago. I had to laugh about a talk I had with my brother. He recently bought a sicilian pizza and it was 8 slices, from what I remember they were always 12. When he questioned the pizza guy he said that's the standard size and always was according to the "pizza association". Pizza association??? Yuo gotta be kidding me. :D :D :D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

deb415611

Quote from: HCT on January 09, 2009, 05:03:42 AM
Thanks fpr posting this debs. I haven't had a 'good' sicilian pizza since I was living on Long Island, many lifetimes ago. I had to laugh about a talk I had with my brother. He recently bought a sicilian pizza and it was 8 slices, from what I remember they were always 12. When he questioned the pizza guy he said that's the standard size and always was according to the "pizza association". Pizza association??? Yuo gotta be kidding me. :D :D :D

I have never had a sicilian pizza from any pizza place.  I hope this holds up to the sicilian that people have had.   My guess is that  some places just use the same dough they use for their round pies and use if for their sicilian.  I'll have to order one some day. 

There is a pizza style which called "Grandma".   I think it is similar to sicilian and is either a smaller rectangle or square. Not sure of the other differences.    I think the Long Island area is where you find it. 

I think my husband is happy that I bought the Bradley & have been busy buying the tools that I need for this obsession.  I haven't talked about wanting a wood fired oven for awhile.   ;D 

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: deb415611 on January 09, 2009, 04:03:14 AM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 09, 2009, 02:25:19 AM
Deb;

That looks good. I may try that tomorrow while the snow strom moves in.

Have you seen the frozen pizza recipe in the current "Cook's Country" (or it may have been Cook's Illustrated). I was just wondering if you saw it what you thought about it.

I will have to go look.  I don't get Cooks Country and let my Cook's Illustrated lapse but still have online version.   I have been thinking about trying frozen dough since my busy time at work is starting.  I usually fill the freezer with cooked meals in January to get me through the next few months. 

It's in Cook's Country. I believe you need to do an separate online service for that. If you see the current addition of Cook's Country at a news stand your may want to pick it up. It's too lengthy for me to explain. But it's a special dough made with half and half, and they also add some half and half to the cheese when they sprinkle it on the top. What I like about the recipe is the pizza if fully prepare, wrap and frozen, and you can just unwrap and throw it into the oven.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 09, 2009, 02:14:17 PM
Quote from: deb415611 on January 09, 2009, 04:03:14 AM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 09, 2009, 02:25:19 AM
Deb;

That looks good. I may try that tomorrow while the snow strom moves in.

Have you seen the frozen pizza recipe in the current "Cook's Country" (or it may have been Cook's Illustrated). I was just wondering if you saw it what you thought about it.

I will have to go look.  I don't get Cooks Country and let my Cook's Illustrated lapse but still have online version.   I have been thinking about trying frozen dough since my busy time at work is starting.  I usually fill the freezer with cooked meals in January to get me through the next few months. 

It's in Cook's Country. I believe you need to do an separate online service for that. If you see the current addition of Cook's Country at a news stand your may want to pick it up. It's too lengthy for me to explain. But it's a special dough made with half and half, and they also add some half and half to the cheese when they sprinkle it on the top. What I like about the recipe is the pizza if fully prepare, wrap and frozen, and you can just unwrap and throw it into the oven.

I'll grab the magazine when I'm out this weekend.

seemore

Deb, after reading your recipe, I am going to overcome my fear of dough and try to make this pizza.  That means making the dough as well.   ???  I only hope it will turn out half as good as your's.

pensrock

Seemore,
  Deb coached SD and I on making our pizzas, I cannot speak for SD but if I can do it anyone can!  ;D
I'm sure you will have no trouble. Deb's posts are a great motivator.  :)
pens

Smoking Duck

You can speak for me any time you want, Pens.  I had never made my own pizza dough before Deb posted hers and like Pens has so eloquently stated, If I can do it, anybody can do it.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

seemore

Thanks, Pens and SD, for the vote of confidence!  I think I am going to plan to make this in another week.  I may even post pictures, if it turns out!

Gizmo

Deb,
I did one similar to your style.  I'll say similar because it probably doesn't really compare and also I didn't follow your directions to the letter as I ran short of time with slightly different ingredients.
None-the-less a great pie.

I think this is where I congratulate you on being a grandmother (not age wise so maybe I should go with aunt) on the birth of a

6 lbs 12-1/4 oz. pie.

Made the dough according to your first set of instructions as I didn't do this last night.  Date night with the Mrs. as it was the last day for restaurant week (went to Jacks in La Jolla).  I didn't let the dough rise after the first time and spreading it out in the pan.  I'll do this next time to let the dough get a little more air in it.

Browned some Jimmy Dean, garlic, onions, bell peppers, tossed in a 26 oz. can of Hunt's Zesty & Spicy Spaghetti Sauce, some mushrooms, freshly ground fennel seed, oregeno and simmered while the dough was rising.  Tossed this on top of the dough, added some more fresh mushrooms, and the rest of the onions and green bells (total of about 3 slices of onion and 1/2 a green bell in the sauce and fresh on top), then added pepperoni across the top and on 1/2 of it some slices of canadian bacon.  Topped this all off with fresh grated Mozarella, Smoked Provolone, Fontina, and Ramano cheese.

I still can't move.   ::)  :o
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

deb415611

Giz,

That looks incredible!   :) :)    :)
Quote from: Gizmo on January 17, 2009, 08:53:42 PM
Deb,
I did one similar to your style.  I'll say similar because it probably doesn't really compare and also I didn't follow your directions to the letter as I ran short of time with slightly different ingredients.
None-the-less a great pie.

No need to follow my directions exactly,  the best thing about making pizza at home is that you can personalize it.  Personally, I have trouble with following a recipe as written  ;)

Quote from: Gizmo on January 17, 2009, 08:53:42 PM

I think this is where I congratulate you on being a grandmother (not age wise so maybe I should go with aunt) on the birth of a

6 lbs 12-1/4 oz. pie.

Grandmother is fine ;D - I'm old enough age-wise (barely  ;) ) and ready mentally except for the fact that my son is 17 so I would prefer to wait for at least five years.  I have practice kids - my good friend who is the same age is on her second set of little ones - 6,4 & 20 months - I have a great time spoiling them. 

I think I will do NY style this week,  I'll try to remember to take pics on that as I go& post.   I know one other forum member is making pizza this weekend, maybe we will see some more pizza pics! 

Deb

HCT

Giz, I want to print the pic and eat it. It looks  :o :o :o
;)
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

pensrock

QuoteI think I will do NY style this week,  I'll try to remember to take pics on that as I go& post.   I know one other forum member is making pizza this weekend, maybe we will see some more pizza pics! 

Deb

I did not get any pics from yesterdays pie but I'll try to get some this afternoon. Today I'm making the overnight NY style pizza. I just know its going to be great.
pens

pensrock

Deb, This is it!!! The overnight method NY style is great!
Thanks for all your help.

I did take pics of these two pies.

This one is very difficult to make..... it's the BigFoot pie. It takes years to develop the skills to make but it is great when done properly.  ::) ::)

This one is a more conventional round pie. Not as fancy but also tastes great!  :D

deb415611

Those look awesome Pens   :) :).

When I first started making pizza my husband & son would tease me .  My husband would say "Kev, what state would you like to eat tonight".    Now they are pretty much round so they give me a hard time about other things. 

pensrock

Yea, for some reason that one just did not want to be round. But it tasted great. The crust was exactly what I was hoping for. I did these at 500* on a stone.

Now that I know I can do a great crust. I can start to experiment with toppings. I loved your idea of a pulled pork pizza. I'm thinking of maybe trying a ruben style pizza.  ???

Thanks for the help.
pens