Pizza - Sicilian w/ Sausage !

Started by deb415611, January 08, 2009, 07:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deb415611

Buffalo chicken is good too. 

Aren't you glad you upped the temp instead of lowering it  :)

pensrock

QuoteAren't you glad you upped the temp instead of lowering it 

Yes I am, and I can still go another fifty degrees if needed.  :)

deb415611

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 09, 2009, 02:25:19 AM
Deb;

That looks good. I may try that tomorrow while the snow strom moves in.

Have you seen the frozen pizza recipe in the current "Cook's Country" (or it may have been Cook's Illustrated). I was just wondering if you saw it what you thought about it.

Habs,

finally found a copy of Cook's Country with the frozen pizza recipe.  It's very different..........    I'm going to give it a try.  I'm going into a busy phase at work where I'll have to be away for a week/ week & 1/2 at a time a few times over the next two months and try to make sure the freezer is full.   I think I'm going to scale the recipe to six 8" pizzas so I can vac seal after frozen.  When I go away the joke is that my son will have to survive on his father's cooking (although he is quite old enough to cook himself).

Personally,  I don't think it's something I would eat. First - because of all the 1/2 & 1/2 in the recipe - I have been trying to be careful w diet & watch where the extra fat & calories sneak in.   Second - I don't think of making pizza as a special time consuming meal - it's pretty much in the regular routine since I make the dough the night before (15 min w/ cleanup) and then just stretch, top & bake the  dough the next day (1 hr tops w/ topping prep & bake).   

Deb

Smoking Duck

Deb,

I've been working with a guy named Enzo on a NYC style pizza crust.....I think I may be close (at least as close as I can get) to accomplishing that with a regular oven.  And no, you don't have to bypass the self-clean setting on the oven.  If it works, I'll be sure to pass it on if ya want it.

Marc

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

deb415611

Quote from: Smoking Duck on February 15, 2009, 09:10:15 AM
Deb,

I've been working with a guy named Enzo on a NYC style pizza crust.....I think I may be close (at least as close as I can get) to accomplishing that with a regular oven.  And no, you don't have to bypass the self-clean setting on the oven.  If it works, I'll be sure to pass it on if ya want it.

Marc

Of course I want .  Thanks

Habanero Smoker

Deb;

I would be very interested on your view of the frozen pizza. I purchased the ingredients 2 weeks ago and have not made it myself. I better check the expiration date on the half & half. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

Habs,

You might be okay, my half & half is good until March 24th.  I did not have a chance to do it today.  I may start measuring out dry ingredients tonight and do at some point during the week. 

I'd love to produce a better frozen pizza for my family than what they buy when I'm away. 

I did a NEPAS inspired chicago pizza tonight.  I'll post it later.

Deb

Buck36

Deb,

I love the posts. I made pizza with our three kids and they loved it. You are talking about frozen pizza and I was wonder about the dough. Would I be able to freeze the dough after the 2nd rise?

We are always on the run so it would be nice to cut some steps. Could we throw a frozen dough ball in a bowl to thaw while running errands?

deb415611

Buck,

The frozen pizza that Habs & I are talking about is like a frozen pizza in the grocery store.  Uncooked crust, sauce, cheese & toppings ready to go into the oven.   It is different in that it uses 1/2 & 1/2 in the crust and also mixed with the cheese to help keep it so it doesn't dry out.  When I do it I will post, I'm just not sure when I'll be able to get to it.

I have never frozen dough balls but I have read about it plus some pizza places get their dough in frozen.  Some of what I have read is that you should use a little more yeast to compensate for what might die in the freezer.  I was going to try to freeze some dough balls but haven't gotten there yet - I was going to start with my normal recipe & freeze before rising.  My recipe doesn't have two rises - I mix, form into balls, into the fridge overnight for a slow rise and then out on the counter an hour before shaping.  For yours I think I would try freezing before the second rise,  then either into the fridge the night before for a long slow unthaw  , then on the counter an hour before shaping or out of the freezer & onto the counter - I bet counter unthaw would be at least 4 hours - which doesn't always fit into a work schedule.   It's definitely worth a shot as pizza dough is not that expensive to make - I would have a backup dinner plan just in case though. 

Habs -- I did a forum search at pizzamaking.com for the frozen and turned up nothing.  I don't read every post there anymore but also don't remember the topic which surprises me.   I don't think they usually miss much pizza related. 

Deb

Buck36

Deb

Thanks for the help. I should have just try a few experiments with the frozen dough. That is the thing that is great about the pizza. The dough isn't a hassle really to make and is cheap. It isn't like some high dollar mistakes with meat.

Greg