• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Hello all. First smoke today in my new OBS.

Started by tnbassman, January 10, 2009, 06:12:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tnbassman

Last Sunday was my 38th birthday and I rewarded myself for all this gray hair with a OBS from Bass Pro shops in Sevierville TN. Got it seasoned mid week. 4 hours at about 175. Could not get it higher. I noticed in looking at some pics of other peopkles smokers that my V tray is upside down so Im gonna flip it before smoking today. It looked to me like the pics in the owners manual showed the hole in the V tray closer to the top of the unit but in looking at some pics in other post is it supposed to be closer to the bottom acting as a funnel into the water bowl?

Gonna smoke some beef ribs and a pork loin today, I bought a 48 pack of SB and a 48 pack of JB and cant decide which to use so I moght use both. Pulled the membrane off the ribs last night and rubbed in my favorite rub made by Stubbs. Wrapped in saran wrap and in the fridge all night.
I have cooked on a grill at least 2 days a week year round but have never smoked at all. Its gonna be interesting but Im stoked and ready to go.

Supposed to rain today so garage and house are gonna smell good all day! If its not too big of a disater I'll post pics when done.

beefmann

Welcome to the forum Tn bass,

and the Vtray should funnel to the drip pan like you  have thought and you  will have many wonderfull years of smoking.. as you  have already noticed there is a lot of good information in this forum come and become a bradley family member.

good luck with the ribs.. take some pics and let us know how they turn  out

Beefmann

KyNola

Welcome aboard!
Let us know how the inaugural smoke goes.  If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.  We have all asked the same questions and made the same mistakes so don't worry.

KyNola

deb415611

Welcome TNbassman,

Looks like you are are on your way!

deb

BareBones

Welcome tnbassman!

There are some great recipes and techniques here on the forums and everyone is extremely helpful. Good luck with the smoke!

BB

tnbassman

Thanks for the info beefman. I flipped the Vtray and pre-heat got to 225 no problem and its 39 and raining outside. During seasoning could not get it above 175. Upside down Vtray must keep temps down. Decided on the JB and I have the pork loin on. Will add ribs shortly.

Smoking Duck

Welcome, tnbassman!  The Bradley is one of the greatest gifts you can get for your birthday.  It is literally a give that keeps on giving!  Stick around and check out all the different smokes and recipes.  You can hot smoke stuff and cold smoke stuff with the Bradley and really the only limitations (other than you can't do a big pig in it) is our imaginations.  If you haven't already, check out the recipe site.  Good stuff in there!

SD

Bradley Recipe Site

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Tenpoint5

Welcome aboard TnBassman!!! Not much to add that the others haven't said. But check out the recipe site.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum tnbassman!

They have you covered.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

tnbassman

Smoke is off and started hitting with the apple juice. Looking and smelling good and I hope it taste as good as it looks. I gotaa figure out a way to stop opening the door peeking in and dropping the temp so often. This seems to be an easy way to smoke. In fact it almost seems to easy and I feel like I need to be doing something.

NePaSmoKer

Welcome

Just a note.

If you have your V tray inverted hole up, moisture will run along the rim and can drip down on the bottom of the door and out onto the front slider thus causing a short in the electrical components. The V tray inserted hole down lets moisture and liquids to chanel down into the water bowl.

Smoke on

nepas

pensrock

Welcome tnbassman.

Sevierville TN eh? I've been in that store several times. I'm from PA but we have a customer in Greenback, TN that I used to do some service work for a couple times a year. I'm not traveling as much now so I don't know if or when I will be back in that area. I really like it there, the trip through the mountians is amazing! Seems like a great place to live.
pens

tnbassman

Well here are the results with pics below: The pork loin roast was outstanding. Cut into chops about 1.25" thick. Very juicy and the flavor was GREAT. Cooked to IT of 160 and then into FTC for a little over 2 hours while the ribs were finishing.

The ribs were not so great. I was dissapointed in them. I got beef back ribs and they were super fatty and not very tender. Next ribs I try will be pork babybacks.

Ive got a brisket flat in right now for dinner tonight.

Mr Walleye

Congrats on the loin and welcome to the forum TnBassman!

Ribs are one of those things that take a few tries to get dialed in. Don't give up 'cause even the ones that don't turn out are not that bad.  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

tnbassman

Brisket flat was AWESOME! Smoked 4 hours at 225 with JB then heat only for 4 hours at 225 with a little apple juice. Then FTC for little over an hour.

Ate some sliced and some chopped on buns with sauce. Leftover sandwhiches for lunch today.