Want to try some Canadian Bacon

Started by CJM5874, January 10, 2009, 11:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CJM5874

I received for Christmas the DBS6 from my wonderful family...

So far I have smoked:

5 lbs venison jerky with HIMTN seasoning.
10 lbs (small casings) venison/beef summer sausage with backwoods seasoning.
Currently finishing up 15 lbs venison/beef summer sausage (large casings), did not think it would take as long as it did but no big deal.

I have been searching the forum for a recipe for some Canadian Bacon, but not having any luck.

Can some body here point me in the right direction. I have never smoked without the benefit of prepackaged seasoning/cure so I'm looking for a detailed recipe.

Thanks.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum CJM5874!

Congrats on successful smokes thus far!

Here is a link to the best Canadian Bacon I've ever had -
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=500#post500

Feel free to ask plenty of questions!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

I concur with FLBR.  If you follow the directions to a T, you will not be disappointed.  However, it is really buckboard bacon.  If you are from Canada, canadian bacon is done with peameal.  So, if you're looking for the peameal variety, this is not it.  However, Hab's bacon is absolutely awesome!  You won't be disappointed.

Welcome to the forum!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Mr Walleye

Hi CJ and welcome to the forum.

These guys have ya going in the right direction. Habs Canadian Bacon recipe is great. I just pulled 28 lbs of it out of the cure last night and it's just finishing in the smoker right now.

Mike

PS

For us Canucks it's "Back Bacon" ehh!  :D

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoking Duck

Mike,

Have you had the peameal bacon?  (I always assumed you have)  :D Just wondered how the two differed in taste?

Thanks!

SD

Habanero Smoker

Hi CJM5874;
Welcome to the forum.

It is true that what we often called Canadian Bacon is not how most Canadians make it. As a rule, in Canada; the bacon it is not smoke or cooked before hand, but it is made from the same cut; the pork loin, and often rolled in coarse corn meal (called pea meal do to the size of the grain). Most buckboard is made from the shoulder, using the butt.

Out of each batch I make I will save some of my Canadian Bacon and make peal meal. To make pea meal, the only thing you need to do after removing the bacon from the cure, is to roll the bacon in coarse corn meal. For me the heavier the coating the better and wrap it tightly. When I get ready to fry a few slices, I slice it about 1/8" - 1/4", dip each slice into more corn meal and fry it. Sometimes I will dip it in egg first then into the cornmeal.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

CJM5874

Thanks for the warm welcome and the recipe...hope to be trying it soon. I have not however seen maple pucks at BPS when I was there. Can you guys point me in the right direction for maple pucks??

I had not been taking pictures of my smokes but it looks like I need to start. Todays venison/beef summer sausage was with the BPS packaged seasoning, they were 3 lbs apiece and the smoke took a full 24 hours. I learned on here to keep the temp low so as not to liquefy the fat and dry the sausage as I did the first time. (They were still delicious!!!) The jerky I did was with Hi Mountain Sweet and Spicy seasoning and apple smoke.

Hope to be getting back with some delicious Canadian bacon pics in the next week or so!!!

Habanero Smoker

I'm not sure of your location, but you can order them over the internet; Yard and Pool, Tiny Tim, or Amazon.com will have them.

You can also use apple, and for a slight heavier smoke taste oak or pecan will work.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

CJM5874

What is this yard and pool I keep reading about...is there a link out there?

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

Click on the blue link at the bottom of my signature line......they're great guys to deal with.
Tiny Tim also has an online service and is great to deal with as well.  Yard and Pool and Tiny Tim are both members here.

SD

pensrock

QuoteWhat is this yard and pool I keep reading about...is there a link out there?
www.yardandpool.com
Bryan is a member here and that is his site. Tiny Tim is also a member/seller both are great folk to deal with. Either one can help you out.

Habs CB is great, I've got some ready for the smoker tomorrow, I hope. We just got about 12" of snow to deal with. But I actually do not mind the snow, that ICE crap we have had for the last couple weeks is what I hate.

Welcome to the site,
pens

Smoking Duck

I picked up some loin and 12 pounds of belly bacon today..........It's going to be a smorgasborg of bacon for me soon.  Going to start the curing process on Monday.  I'm thinking Habs Canadian bacon with the loin and the triple-smoked bacon with the belly.  I had them cut the belly bacon into 1 pound each.  I'm thinking one of them with the habanero powder and 1 with the jalapeno powder that I made up a little while ago!

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 10, 2009, 12:49:52 PM
Mike,

Have you had the peameal bacon?  (I always assumed you have)  :D Just wondered how the two differed in taste?

Thanks!

SD

SD

I never have had peameal bacon... go figure ehh!  :D

It's all about the back bacon around here!  :D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smokin Soon

I made some Peameal Bacon for a Brit friend, and and he admitted he likes the Habs better. Peameal in the traditional way is not smoked, just cured, cooked and rolled in corn meal.