• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

HELP!! What kind of beef roast is this?

Started by seemore, January 10, 2009, 05:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seemore

Hi!  We went to a small grocery store today - and picked this  up.  It was called a Crock Pot Roast:

It has a fat cap on both sides, and netting.  When we asked the young person behind the counter what it was, he was clueless.  So, we bought it.   ::)
So, can you give us some insight, and how to smoke?
Habs, we saw your recipe for top loin in Time Tested Recipes - would that be a good choice for this roast?

FLBentRider

That looks like a Round. Top, bottom, Eye.. It should be a faily tender cut of meat. 14I would rub it with Olive oil, Kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper....

Smoke @ 200F for 2-4 hours smoke, continue until an IT of 140F or so....
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

How big is it, Seemore?  Could it possibly be a rump roast?  Mine had fat on both sides and was in a netting as well.  I have to post the pics to my thread, but if it were me, I'd throw it in the smoker for a couple of hours of smoke and then in the crock pot.  It was an okay cut to smoke but I was not pleased with the final result of mine at all.  I took the IT to 145 and FTCd for 2.5 hours and the cut was still tough.  Mine was a 4 pounder.  If I do the cut again, it's going into the smoker and then into the crockpot with my red wine marinade.  Maybe once we identify the cut, it will be easier to tell you and maybe someone else has had better luck with the rump in a smoker than I have.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

westexasmoker

Looks like a top round or london broil, a bit large for that.....SD might be right with the rump, I don't think your gonna go wrong no matter what!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

seemore

SD, the roast weighs 3 pounds.  I never thought that it could be a rump roast.  Mr and I were thinking it might have been a round roast, but we wanted to get some opinions on it.
We plan to do this tomorrow.

Smoking Duck

If it is a rump, I did not have luck with mine.  I did it at 205F and took it to an IT of 145 then FTC'd it.  The cut was still tough.  Now, it could have just been that cow wasn't from California and wasn't a happy cow but (and this is just my opinion here, so take it for what it's worth) if I had it to do over again, it'd go in the slow cooker with some marinade or beef stock/apple juice combo once the smoke got done rolling.  Would have made a huge difference I think.  In fact, when I reheat the remaining beef, that's how I'll do it to make it a little more tender.

Just my two cents (and with the state of the economy, it's probably worth -2 cents  :D)

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

La Quinta

Looks like a rump roast to me...maybe WTS (who is the "beefguy") can identify it more clearly...

Smokin Soon

I think it is a rump roast also. I would give that a 2 hour smoke and finish in the oven, foil wrapped with some moisture like cream of mushroom soup, or better yet, some potatoes and carrots in a crock pot for at least 6 hours. That looks like a pot roast cut to me.

seemore

Good evening!!!  Wanted to give you an update of this "crock pot roast", that was pretty much determined to be a rump roast.
Friday night we thawed it.  On Saturday, we injected it with jalapeno butter, then covered it with olive oil, kosher salt, and cracked peppercorns:

We put it in a Zip-Lock bag, and let it sit overnight.  This morning we put it in the Bradley for 4 1/2 hours with hickory smoke.  We pulled it at IT of 160:

We then covered it with foil and let it rest for about two hours.  Then we sliced it:

Those are going to make some delicious sandwiches!  

Thanks for the advice you gave us on this!

HCT

Quoting SD:

(In my best Cliff Clavin impression):  You see, what you've got there is your lesser pileated woodgoose roast.  It's a very rare breed indeed.  It doesn't last very long in the wild tough as they still haven't evolved enough so that their bills are still rounded and thus cannot put holes in the wood to get the tasty treats they desire.  They will do a heck of a job scraping the bark off of the tree though. ;D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

seemore

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta

Cliff Clavin is my hero!!!! Very funny...

Roast looks delicious too!!!  ;D

KyNola

Seemore,
Regardless of what that crock pot roast is/was, it looks great!  Injected with jalapeno butter?  Gotta love that twist.  It looks like great sandwiches in your feature.

Your pics are great too! ;)  :D

KyNola

Caribou

I think the scientific name for that species of roast is Rumpus Delecti
Do you think that is the proper taxonomy, Cliff?
Carolyn