Cold Smoked Salmon info needed

Started by lumpy, January 13, 2009, 08:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumpy

Hi Guys,
Does anyone have (or give me a link) a good cold smoke and brine for salmon.
Time to move up a level in the smok'n department.

Thanks
Lumpy

westexasmoker

Kummoks brine in the fish section is most excellent!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Mr Walleye

Lumpy

Kummok's salmon is second to none. If you haven't tried his recipe you owe it to yourself to give it a shot. It's fantastic!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

pensrock

Got to agree with the others, Kummoks salmon is second to none.

Just so you understand, Kummoks salmon is not actually lox recipe, if that is what you mean by cold smoked.
It is smoked and cooked at a low temperature.

Habanero Smoker

When you say cold smoke, are you looking to make lox or gravlax. If that is the case this is one of the best recipes for that.

The Best Smoked Lox

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

Would it be safe to assume that you would need a cold-smoke setup or ambient temps under 45 to cold-smoke salmon ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Kummok

Lumpy....
Follow Hab's link.....Kummok don't do no lox/gravlax...(yet!) (Good thing Brian hasn't installed a grammer checker!)

Tried salmon many different ways...even raw...but haven't yet developed a taste for lox.

Serial344

Hello,
I have a good recipe but you take 5 days to make it.
If you trust me I'll write it down.
It's time consuming but you'll come up with the best cold smoke ever tasted....believe me.

You need cure#1, salt, brown sugar, whit rum, alder and apple bisquettes, time and patience... ;)

Let me know.

Greetings from italy.

Gianfranco

KyNola

Speaking for myself, heck yeah write it down!

Greetings from Kentucky USA

KyNola

Serial344

Sorry for my english...first of all... :P

Day 1, morning

Prepare fillet, remove all bones.
Wrap in paper and again in a triple layer of newspaper and put in the fridge for 24 hours. It will absorb a lot of water. An amazing quantity.

Day 2, morning
weigh fillet and use for each kg of fish: 3 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp cure#1
Weigh salt separately for each fillet.
Sprinkle the cure liberally over the thick part and sparingly over thin part.
Put each fillet in a container, cover with newspaper again and put in the fridge for 24 hours.

Day 3, morning
Rinse under cold water and blot dry using paper.
Wrap again in paper, triple layer of newspaper and put in the fridge. From this time the salt equalization process will take place. Salt will distribute in the flesh. It's an important step.

Day 3, evening
Brush the fillet with a thin layer of extravirgin olive oil. Put in a container, close the lid and put again in the fridge.

Day 4, morning
Using a piece of cloth, soak with white rum and rinse the oil from the flesh. Use a lot of rum, the salmon won't suffer... ;D
Still with the rum over the flesh, absorb extra and sprinkle 2 tsp of brown sugar for each kg. Put again in container, lid on and refrigerate again.

Day 4, evening
Rinse under cold water, blot dry and brush again a little olive oil. Refrigerate as usual in a container, lid on.

Day 5, morning
Rinse again with cloth and white rum to remove oil, blot dry with paper and dry it for an hour inside the bradley. Start cold smoking for at least 4 hours using alder first and apple bisquettes later (6 alder bisquettes+6 apple bisquettes).

Remove from the smoker and rinse under cold water  until it become completely cold. Put in the fridge, uncovered for at least 4 day to allow smoke to mild.

4 day later.
Slice it and serve...

Sorry again for my english, I hope it could be usefull...

I have a lot of recipe for italian salami, prosciutto, bologna and so on....smoked versions of course... ;)

Bye Bye

Tenpoint5

Serial 344 Welcome my Italian friend. Recipe looks great. Do you use it just on salmon or can it be used with other fish? Feel free to post as many recipes as you would like. That's how we all learn.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Thank you so much for the recipe.  Have never seen one quite like that.  My good friend Smoking Duck has been looking for an authentic prosciutto ham recipe so he would be very interested in yours.

Feel free to post any and all of your recipes.  We will be most happy to learn from you.

Ciao,
KyNola

Serial344

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on January 14, 2009, 04:26:35 PM
Serial 344 Welcome my Italian friend. Recipe looks great. Do you use it just on salmon or can it be used with other fish? Feel free to post as many recipes as you would like. That's how we all learn.

You can use it in EVERY oily fish. Result is amazing, believe, a gourmet preparation. Try it and let us know... :P

Serial344

Quote from: KyNola on January 14, 2009, 06:56:49 PM
Thank you so much for the recipe.  Have never seen one quite like that.  My good friend Smoking Duck has been looking for an authentic prosciutto ham recipe so he would be very interested in yours.

Feel free to post any and all of your recipes.  We will be most happy to learn from you.

Ciao,
KyNola

I got it.....It's a fully tested recipe but is't a little complicated. It comes from italian "norcineria" (art of preserving meat and make "salami") . You can be sure.

Just one hour and I'll open a new topic.
Bye

Just give time to translate in english in an understandable way...