• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New Guy first smoke

Started by smokepusher, January 15, 2009, 02:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokepusher

Hello All,

As my topic says, yes I am a proud new OBS owner and I am going to attempt my first smoke tomorrow...(very excited). I am going between a whole chicken or salmon, can anyone give me a blow by blow on what I should be doing / watching for ect. on my first attempt on either of these 2 smokes.

Thanks in advance everyone who has the interest / time to help me out. :D

SP

Smoking Duck

Hi SmokePusher,

Rule number one whenever I do salmon or chicken........vent fully open.  Lots of moisture and you want to leave the vent fully open.  As far as what to do, that's personal preference.  Both fish and chicken will soak up the smoke pretty quickly, so I probably wouldn't go more than 2 hours to 2:40 of smoke.

For recipes, check this site out if you haven't already:

http://www.susanminor.org/

Lots of good recipes....follow the directions to a T and you'll be good to go.  If you decide to do something specific and need help with that, just let the board know and someone will be along to offer help.

Welcome to the board!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

beefmann

welcome to the forum smoke pusher

I would do a chicken with the vent open

westexasmoker

Vent open full always!  But ya'll know me!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum smokepusher!

Lets see. recipe site, faq, vent open, ask questions...

got it covered.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Welcome aboard Smokepusher,
You have all the right advice from the earlier posts.  Between chicken and salmon for the first run, I would opt for chicken as well.  More importantly, have fun and don't stress over the ultimate outcome.  Questions?  We are all more than happy to answer all of your questions as we have all asked the questions you may think are going to be stupid.  They're not so ask if you need help.  We love to bring another into the fold!

KyNola

HCT

Welcome to the forum SP. Last rule, enjoy!!
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

smokepusher

Hi again,

Any direction on the best brisquettes to use for Chicken, salmon, mahi, turkey, pork ribs, beef ribs, brisket, pork butt, too many questions too little time

westexasmoker

Quote from: smokepusher on January 16, 2009, 09:42:59 AM
Hi again,

Any direction on the best brisquettes to use for Chicken, salmon, mahi, turkey, pork ribs, beef ribs, brisket, pork butt, too many questions too little time

I'm not allowed to answer that question!  ::)   ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smoking Duck

Quote from: westexasmoker on January 16, 2009, 09:46:01 AM
Quote from: smokepusher on January 16, 2009, 09:42:59 AM
Hi again,

I'm not allowed to answer that question!  ::)   ;D

C

;D ;D ;D

WTS uses mesquite on everything.......but it works well for him!

This is a great chart to get you started and then, just experiment from there:

Wood

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

IKnowWood

That chart is useful to start with.  As you go along experiment.  You may find you like a more task on one vs another.  A friend of mine did Hickory a lot of the time, then listened to me once to Mesquite or Pecan on Pork or Beef and now he hates Hickory on anything.  Try mixing woods around.  Some compliment others.  Mesquite however pretty much dominates any other wood.  But its earthy flavor is a strong contrast that has its own twist.  And Maple has this sweet and sassy hints that is unique also.  However the Variety blend is just wierd.  I used it to season the unit and that was it. 

welcome, have fun, visit often, post some, laugh much.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes