• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Help With Heating Issue

Started by ChefJosh6382, January 18, 2009, 03:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChefJosh6382

I just got my new Original Bradley Smoker 4 Rack today.  I seasoned it this morning as the directions said.  However it took almost an hour after plugging it in with the heating element control on high for it to get into the high 100 degrees.  After a cool down and a cleaning I seasoned up some pork. I again let the unit preheat an hour, this time with the element control right in the middle.  When i just went to load up the pork i noticed the unit was still cold (around 60 degrees).  So i loaded in the pork and cranked the unit up.  10 minutes later the unit was at a hundred so i adjusted it to 75% element heat and am watching it as I write this.

My question is.  Is this usual with new units?  does the element have some kind of "burn in" period before it heats evenly?  Do i have a bed unit?   Please help.... ???

Mr Walleye

Hi ChefJosh and welcome to the forum.

When you were preheating it did you check to make sure the main heater in the tower was glowing red? Sometimes when they are new you have to make sure the cord between the tower and generator is plugged in very well. sometimes you will have to plug and unplug it a few times. The other thing I have heard of before is there can be a dead spot all the way to the right on the temp slider, if this is the case try bumping it back to the left just a hair. The other question is, are you using an extension cord? It'd best not to us an extension cord but if you have to make sure it's rated appropriately.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

ChefJosh6382

Mike,

Thanks for the info.  I was on an extension cord, so i just moved my unit and we will see if that solves the problem.  it could just be my imagination but i noticed the light a little brighter after it was plugged directly into the wall.  I made sure my cords were tight.  The temp slider is on about 75% and its 100 degrees in the box.  I will see how it goes if not i will call bradley tomorrow. 

Has anyone you know of attempted to put a thermostat on the heating element to really true up the temperature?

thanks again

Smoking Duck

Welcome, ChefJosh!

Another thing to check,  make sure your vent on top is open.  I always have mine full open but anything 50% or more will work.  Keeping it closed will actually keep the temp down.  Most think it will keep it hotter in the box but it has the opposite effect.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

ChefJosh6382

SD,

Thanks for the tip.  My vent was about 50% opened but i got it all the way open now.  it looked like before 75% on the slide was right about 150 degrees.

Ill get the hang of it i think.

Mr Walleye

SD is correct on the vent.  ;)

You may want to run the slider to the max or close to it until you reach the target temp, then start moving the slide back to the left until you get it dialled in.

Lots of people here are running a PID. It's a temp controller which is very accurate, usually within 1 or 2 degrees. It's definitely not a must but certainly is a nice add on.

Here is a couple of links for some plug & play models from Auber Instruments.

http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=73

http://auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=72

Also, if you haven't been to the recipe site yet just click on the smoker in the bottom of my post. Lots of great information and recipes there from all the fine folks here on the forum.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

ChefJosh6382

Awesome, I will definitely invest in that.  I am starting to think i should have just bought the smoke generator and built my own box.  Before spring i am gonna have replaced all bradley's parts. LOL ;D

Gizmo

Push the slider to about 95 %, it will get hotter.  I would suggest that you should pre-heat the box to 260 deg before loading it up with food, it will help recover when you open the door to slide in the food.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

KyNola

Welcome Josh!
My friends have all given you great advice. Only advice I can add is there is a learning curve to the Bradley just like most things new.  Have fun learning how your Bradley works.  Even your less than perfect(in your eyes)projects will taste great. :)

KyNola 

ChefJosh6382

Thanks for all the help.  my chops turned out great and i will be tweaking as the weeks go on and ill post all my progress.

josh

Habanero Smoker

Another thing that may cause temperature problems is low voltage. If the smoker is on a circuit that has other appliances drawing power, you may not be getting enough voltage. This has happened to me in the past. If that is the problem and you can't rewire, then you may want to unplug a few appliance that are on that circuit; if that is possible.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)