Cheese Safety

Started by sherlock, January 21, 2009, 07:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sherlock

Smoked some cheddar Monday evening. Took it out of the smoker and set it out to dry for a couple hours before vac sealing. Due to family emergency, the cheese set out at room temp until the next evening. Cheese blocks were covered in fine cracks. I packaged it anyway.

Will being at room temp for around 22-24 hours make cheese unsafe to eat?

Has anybody ever done this before?

BTW, I tasted a couple crumbs and like y'all have said, "It tastes like ashes".

Earlier smoked cheese eaten after 10 days was good but last night I ate some that was smoked 4-6 weeks ago and it was absolutely fantastic.

Caneyscud

Sherlock,

If you are worried about the cheese - send it to me - I'll eat it in a moment!  ;) After a proper time for aging of course!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Air
Threadkiller Extraordinaire'

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Oyènkwara

Sherlock,

I'm by all means not an expert but I know of a store in Vermont that I go to where they will cut a chunk of cheese to your liking (This is in a covered display sitting on the counter, no refrigeration). They also have some pre-cut "private stock cheddar" (really good stuff!!!), wrapped in plastic, setting on the counter.... Again not refrigerated.

I keep telling myself I need to get some of this stuff to smoke!!

sherlock

Thanks

My 10 day cure will be up on the 29th. I will eat some and see. If you never hear from me after that, you know what happened.
;D

KyNola

Sherlock,
I too am no cheese expert but I think you're safe with that cheese.  I've been in cheese shops where it sets out.

Would also concur with you that the longer the smoked cheese can age, the better it tastes.

KyNola

manxman

I agree with the others and think it will be fine, the fine cracks are probably just because it has dried out a bit.
Manxman