First Cheese smoke - just ask'n

Started by Caneyscud, January 26, 2009, 08:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

First cheese smoke was this weekend - ambient temps were conducive for low temps without a cool box.  Pics of before were taken, but didn't bring camera to work.  However, did about 10# of various.  Temps stayed in the 70's.  Used 3 hours of apple with vent wide open and cheese on upmost two shelves.  Took them out and put in ziplocs and in the fridge for proper aging.  After 3 hours I would have expected more of a tan than what they exhibited.  Would that be normal?  or should I have left in longer.  I also did some jumbo cashews on a whim - had about 1 1/2 hour or smoke on them.  Upon sampling, the smoke flavor wasn't that evident, but my smoke taster might have been overwhelmed as I was also doing spareribs, whole yard bird, brats, and thighs on my Bandera.  Wanted to do some Kummok, but couldn't find any salmon with skin on for some reason. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Smoking Duck

Hey Shake,

You'll find that the color of cheese when doing in the Bradley won't match that of smoking with a stickburner.  The flavor will be there and they'll darken up some as they age but it won't be the color you would be expecting with a stickburner.  No need to worry about the cheese.  If you are worried, however, I'd be more than happy to PM my address and relieve you of that bothersome problem  ;D

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Caneyscud

Man, it's nice to have friends like you Duck!   ;D ;D

You know, you gave me an idea though.  Yesterday, I was having trouble keeping the heat down in the Bandera, kept on wanting to flame and raise the temp.  So I'm thinking no way to do cheese on the 'Dera, but I bet if I do a real small fire, choke down the hole between the firebox and the vertical chamber.  Or for that matters, as the coals are dying out after I'm through with the main smoke, I should be able to do some quick smoke until the coals are totally gone.  Never thought about that much.  Most of the time, I smoke away from the house and am usually in a hurry to clean up.  But then again, why should I think about it too much - seems to be a lot easier in the Bradley!  ;D

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Threadkiller Extraordinaire'

Smoking Duck

It is absolutely easier......on a side note, you ever done anything with pear or peach wood?  I might be able to get ahold of some in the spring and if I can and you'd like some, let me know.  I think I can even get some grape which I hear some folks will use as well.  Not sure about the grape though.

Glad the cheese came out good.......you'll like it but the color change thing is something I struggled with at first as well.  Always wanted that real dark color that comes with a stickburner but once you taste it, the color thing goes away real fast  ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

smokeitall

Cabelas by me carries the pear all the time.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 26, 2009, 10:49:25 AM
It is absolutely easier......on a side note, you ever done anything with pear or peach wood?  I might be able to get ahold of some in the spring and if I can and you'd like some, let me know.  I think I can even get some grape which I hear some folks will use as well.  Not sure about the grape though.

Glad the cheese came out good.......you'll like it but the color change thing is something I struggled with at first as well.  Always wanted that real dark color that comes with a stickburner but once you taste it, the color thing goes away real fast  ;D

When I operate my water smoker I would use peach wood as much as I could. Peach wood is especially good on pork and poultry.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caneyscud

Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 26, 2009, 10:49:25 AM

If Bradford Pear counts, I have, but not smoked but smoke grilled (hot and smokey) - I had a bunch of lathe waste I used up one time.  Turned out pretty good - however, when smoke grilling, since the combustion is dirty, the fine nuances of the smoke flavoring doesn't always show up.  Peach I would be interested in.  I think I've got a couple of small peach trunks around somewhere that I was going to turn, but they probably have some decay by now - might dig those up.  I'd like to try peach - that intrigues me.  But then so does pear!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire

Caneyscud

Quote from: smokeitall on January 26, 2009, 11:44:02 AM
Cabelas by me carries the pear all the time.
Is it chunks or chips?  I'll have to look in the catalog, but so far only catalogue I've gotten from them is a Fly Fishing catalogue!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire

pensrock

Shake,
  I'm not familiar with the smoker you want to try to do cheese in but if the box is big enough why not just put a small hot plate in there and put the wood chips in an old pan? (NOT the wife's new cookware!)  ;D
It will make plenty of smoke and you would not have to bother maintaining a low fire.

FLBentRider

My first batch of cheese had a nice color, but I think the smoker was too hot. The second batch with the cardboard box did not take on as much color.

The first batch turned out great. The second I have not tasted yet.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta

Ok...as ridiculous as this is.....we cold smoked cheese for the first time on Saturday....I was like a kid in the candy store!!!! The tower never got above 65...my life is now complete...  ;D No cheese soup!!!  :D  :D  :D

Thanks Tiny for the box...easy to use....I never even read the directions...the cheese is vac sealed and waiting....gave a boatlod to friends who were here as well...if it tastes good...I'll be happy...if NOT...then I will try like hell again!!!  :D

Mr Walleye

Quote from: La Quinta on January 26, 2009, 07:16:01 PM

I never even read the directions

LQ

Are you showing your masculine side?

:D  :D  :D  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

pensrock

;D ;D Mike... lol

Congrats LQ, I guess the cheese soup thing is gone now.  :'( ;)
I'll have to find something else to get on you about.  ;D

FLBentRider

Congrats on the Cheese LQ!

Ain't that a cool feeling... I smoked CHEESE!!!!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

La Quinta

Hey Fishman...I am one of those chicks who doesn't ever read directions...my hubby loves to do it!! We are a bit odd that way!!  ::)

Pens...I'll let you know in July if it still works!!!  ;D

FLBent...I agree...everytime I make something that we would normally just buy...I'm floored... as well as get a better understanding of why things cost what they do...cold smoked salmon, pastrami, cheese (now) leap to mind but...it is incredibly rewarding to do!! Definate sense of accomplishment when it comes out really well!!