Homemade Garlic Powder

Started by Smoking Duck, February 04, 2009, 06:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Soon

Wow! Jalapeno garlic powder. How many things would I use that on. Lots! Mixed with some Horseradish power and some Worcester powder. Duck, do you think the shelf life would be the same as store bought?
Good job Hazel!

Smoking Duck

I wouldn't see why it wouldn't have the same shelf life.  My only concern would be caking, but with the silicon dioxide in it, that should alleviate that concern.

I do have some hot garlic powder that I got somewhere online but that doesn't use jalapeno as the hot ingredient.  I really like it.  I do have some jalapeno powder as well as some habanero powder from doing the peppers.....might have to mix them together with maybe some MSG and see how that comes out.

By the way, no more Hazel.  I've decided I want to be the next Gordon Ramsay.......that dude rocks!  ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Smokin Soon

Smoking Duck

You ever watch Kitchen Nightmares or Hell's Kitchen?  I can't get enough of either of those shows.  I giggle my backside off when I watch those shows!  Plus, Gordon is a little manlier than Hazel and I've got a rep to uphold  ;D

Dang, now I've gone and hijacked my own thread!

La Quinta

I soooo tried not to highjack this...but Giggles...you are too nice to be Gordon...can you be half Gordon half Hazel? Like...Hell's Laudry? Hell's dishes? Hell's dirty Floors???  :D  :D  ;D

Smoking Duck

Quote from: La Quinta on February 04, 2009, 07:17:48 PM
I soooo tried not to highjack this...but Giggles...you are too nice to be Gordon...can you be half Gordon half Hazel? Like...Hell's Laudry? Hell's dishes? Hell's dirty Floors???  :D  :D  ;D

Not just no, but hell no!  You're killing me here, Q!  I'm really not that nice of a guy. I'm very mean.  kind of a drill seargent type of guy, really.  Hell's Dirty Floors  ;D ;D ;D LMAO!

aces-n-eights

You guys are the masters of thread drift...   :)
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

Smoking Duck

It's all my fault........I'm like an old lady at a bingo parlor most times........I know it's a weakness, but I just can't help myself  ;D

Gizmo

I tossed a head of Elephant Garlic in the BS when I did Ribs this past weekend.  It got 3 hours 40 mins of smoke as did the ribs.  After it was cooled down, I pealed the paper off and sliced it real thin as was suggested in another post.  Put in the dehydrator and it was dry by morning.  I left it in for the rest of the day and then into the spice grinder.  Turned out great.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

deb415611

Quote from: La Quinta on February 04, 2009, 07:17:48 PM
Quote from: Smoking Duck on February 04, 2009, 07:20:45 PM

Not just no, but hell no!  You're killing me here, Q!  I'm really not that nice of a guy. I'm very mean.  kind of a drill seargent type of guy, really.  Hell's Dirty Floors  ;D ;D ;D LMAO!

I'm with LQ,  you are too nice to be Gordon      AND.........  I have proof.......... so stop trying to deny it.  ;D :) :D

Smoking Duck

I watch enough news to know that I have plausible deniability  ;D

Giz......never done the elephant garlic but was under the impression that it has a "softer" garlic flavor.  How did the flavor come out after smoking?

La Quinta

Dang Deb...is this guy denying...stuff...SHAME...Really...I was really happy with the powder...but this....this...GEEZZZZ... Oh boy...

Gizmo

It was great by itself as I nibbled a bit when tossing into the grinder.  It was kiss-ably noticeable.  ;)

Yes, the elephant is lighter in flavor.  Haven't used it by itself in a lightly flavored dish yet.  Made some chicken and cheese stuffed ravioli with a marinara and four cheese sauce with some mushrooms.  Great flavors but the garlic did not have a chance to stand out in this kind of dish.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smoking Duck

The ravioli sounds awesome, Giz. 

cowgirl

Quote from: Smoking Duck on February 04, 2009, 07:47:17 PM
It's all my fault........I'm like an old lady at a bingo parlor most times........I know it's a weakness, but I just can't help myself  ;D

LOL I'm having a hard time picturing that!

Great looking garlic powder...Nice!!! 8)