Homemade Garlic Powder

Started by Smoking Duck, February 04, 2009, 06:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

I always enjoy doing things myself whenever possible versus buying (assuming it's not electrical  ;D).  So, I wanted to try my hand at making garlic powder.  I did a very small batch at first for a trial run and did not smoke the garlic as I didn't want to waste the bisquettes if the powder did not turn out well.

I started with 10 heads of garlic and then removed their paper tombs.  This was the most intensive part of the ordeal.  However, if you like the smell of garlic, as I do, it was a labor of love. 

This is what I started with:

Placed these in the dehydrator.  The most time extensive part of this process is the drying period.  It took a little over 2 days in the dehydrator for these to dry out completely. I placed them in the dehydrator at 135F. Now, when these are drying, you'll notice that the clove drys into two different parts.  There is actually an outer shell and an inner pith (not sure if pith is the correct term, just the term I used).  Both of these will be used in the powder.  Here is what they looked like coming out of the dehydrator:

I then proceeded to hit the garlic with the mortar and pestle very briefly to break them up to make it easier on my burr grinder to do its job.

After grinding, this is what it looks like.  It has a wonderful aroma and a very powerful taste.  It was very productive in that 10 heads produced 6 oz of powder.  In the future, I will definitely smoke and then add other spices, such as salt for garlic salt, pepper for garlic pepper, tumeric and red pepper for a hot garlic spice and the list goes on.  I highly recommend giving this a try, especially if you can pick up garlic on sale.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

pensrock

Looks like your burr grinder did a great job.  :)

sherlock

Looks great.

Let us know about the taste after you use it. I wonder if you will need less because its fresh or perhaps more.

HCT

"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

NePaSmoKer

Looks nice duck.

good on some french bread mmmmmmm

nepas

Smoking Duck

Thanks guys!  I still will run this through a strainer to keep out any larger than normal pieces and then add some silicon dioxide to keep it from caking.  The smell is the same as my store bought garlic powder and I'll let you know about the taste as soon as I use it on some food.  I may have to do some more jalapenos and do a jalapeno garlic powder.

Marc

aces-n-eights

That looks great!  I was just thinking about trying exactly what you did and package it as gifts around Christmas time.  Smokey garlic salt, smokey garlic pepper, mmmmmm mmmmmm.

How do you plan to keep this?  Small spice bottles?  Refrigerator?  Freezer?

Thanks for inspiring me!
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

FLBentRider

Duck,
That looks great. I am curious to know how it compares to the commercial stuff as well.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

That does look good, nice looking garlic also. I also would like to know how it compares with commercial garlic powder.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

Quote from: aces-n-eights on February 04, 2009, 01:22:46 PM
That looks great!  I was just thinking about trying exactly what you did and package it as gifts around Christmas time.  Smokey garlic salt, smokey garlic pepper, mmmmmm mmmmmm.

How do you plan to keep this?  Small spice bottles?  Refrigerator?  Freezer?

Thanks for inspiring me!

I've got some small spice bottles that should be arriving in the mail tomorrow.  I've got the garlic powder in the refer right now but once I add the silicon dioxide, I'll keep it in my spice cupboard after that.  There isn't nearly the amount of moisture in this as there is in the apple powder I did a little while ago.  I like to inspire people and from one vet to another, I'm glad I inspired you.  If you need any help at all, just let me know.

Marc

Smoking Duck

Habs and FL,

I would say that it is a finer powder than most commercial powders you buy in the grocery store, yet larger than a superfine powder. However, I did mine in a burr grinder, so if using a different type of grinder, you may be able to get into either a larger powder or even a granulated garlic consistency.  The smell is every bit as strong as the store bought powders.  I plan on using this in a 1 for 1 with all recipes unless I find that my stuff is either stronger or weaker than store bought.  Sometimes, I think that when you buy store bought, they use additives to enhance the flavor, so I'm sure there will be some experimentation with it until I think it is where it should be.

The garlic actually came from Sam's Club..........they had some large bags that were going to expire soon, so I bought one and figured, what the heck?  It really was very easy to do.  I do suggest doing the dehydrating either outside (weather permitting) or in the garage (where I did mine).  While the fan from the dehydrator is blowing, you'll get a very strong odor of garlic that will permeate the house.  I learned my lesson from dehydrating jalapenos and habaneros in the house and I'm quite certain the wife would have left me if I did the garlic as well  ;D

La Quinta

I am in FREAKIN AWE GIGGLES.... Wow...my friend...I can smell it from here.....BRILLIANT!!!!!  :)

Smoking Duck

Thanks, Q, you're making me blush  :-[ ;D

La Quinta

If the Cards were dusted with that garlic powder....the Steelers would have laid down and let Mama bring em dinner!!! (Can ya tell I'm baiting you a bit???)  :D

Sorry all...

Smoking Duck

Yea......but I ain't biting  :-*