First try at Venison snack sticks....

Started by Wattles, February 07, 2009, 07:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wattles

...any words of wisdom?

this is my first time giving these a go.  100% venison pepperoni snack sticks.

they will go in the bradley smoker tomorrow...

NePaSmoKer

They look nice.

Did you cut the venison with some pork butt?

And did you use make your own ingrediets like pepper, salt and that.

nepas

Wattles

no, took the easy way out i guess.
hi mountain seasoning/cure
no pork, all venison

better with pork?

any other seasoning tips ALWAYS appreciated!

thanks!

Buck36

Quote from: Wattles on February 07, 2009, 08:46:31 PM
no pork, all venison

better with pork?

That is the way I do mine. I have used pork butt and the added fat does give it a great taste but I prefer all venison. The sticks look good! Send them my way if you don't like 'em!  ;D

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Wattles on February 07, 2009, 08:46:31 PM
no, took the easy way out i guess.
hi mountain seasoning/cure
no pork, all venison

better with pork?

any other seasoning tips ALWAYS appreciated!

thanks!

The venison as you know is pretty lean. Sausage of any kind needs to have some sort of fat. This is for flavor and helps with shrinkage.

You should be ok with the sticks. Just watch so you don't put too much heat to em.

As far as seasonings go, Its personal preference i guess. I don't like or use HM, another time maybe.

nepas

Wattles

sorry about posting in the wrong board...

nepa, we must be close to one another, i live in mahoning valley...

anyway, do you make your own seasonings?  or purchase?  ive never had any snack stix where i was privy to the seasonings used so im totally in the dark here.  kowaleniks i HEAR will sell seasonings if requested and ive heard of Excalibur and stuff from the sausage maker...nevertheless, without giving any top secrets away perhaps you could recommend some easily bought seasonings for my next batch.  and thanks for the heat recs, will keep em low.

todd

Wattles

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Wattles on February 08, 2009, 09:03:37 AM
sorry about posting in the wrong board...

nepa, we must be close to one another, i live in mahoning valley...

anyway, do you make your own seasonings?  or purchase?  ive never had any snack stix where i was privy to the seasonings used so im totally in the dark here.  kowaleniks i HEAR will sell seasonings if requested and ive heard of Excalibur and stuff from the sausage maker...nevertheless, without giving any top secrets away perhaps you could recommend some easily bought seasonings for my next batch.  and thanks for the heat recs, will keep em low.

todd

You live in mahoning valley just west of lehighton?  say did you buy that OBS at cabelas?

nepas

Wattles

yep, im up near flagstaff, by the uki homestead.

yes, was on sale for 249 so couldnt pass it up, especially with gift certs burnin a hole in my pocket! ;D

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Wattles on February 08, 2009, 09:43:43 AM
yep, im up near flagstaff, by the uki homestead.

yes, was on sale for 249 so couldnt pass it up, especially with gift certs burnin a hole in my pocket! ;D

I live up above the orioles on the dirt rd just across.

nepas

Wattles

NePaSmoKer

Wattles

dont know that one off the top of my head...i do drive the orioles once in a while snoopin around for turkeys and deer on my way home...

i on the other side of that red blinkin light

are you the one having the "party" this summer did i see???

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Wattles on February 08, 2009, 10:06:34 AM
dont know that one off the top of my head...i do drive the orioles once in a while snoopin around for turkeys and deer on my way home...

i on the other side of that red blinkin light

are you the one having the "party" this summer did i see???

ahh ok your down ferther by normal square.  yeah we doing a north east smokeout. come on over. I live by Mertz.

nepas

NePaSmoKer