First time smoked chicken...

Started by Stargazer, February 14, 2009, 08:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stargazer

No pictures, sorry, but did my first batch of chicken in marie.

Dad and I found chicken quarters on sale, didn't marinade which maybe I should of done, and added a mild rub to them.

Preheated marie to about 200F then put the racks in. Let them smoke with applewood for about 4 hours and took out when internal temp reached around 165F. Rotating the racks once during the cooking.

Foiled and let sit for about 2 hours then served for supper.

The chicken was so *bleepin* tender and juicy it was pulling away from the bone.

I'm much more a pork and beef guy, maybe because I had so much chicken growing up in Kentucky all my life, but all I can say is, this sure gave me a whole entire new out look on chicken.

My father was in awe over this chicken.

I'm sure marinading the quarters first will add to it even more.

I followed the advice from others here on the forum about keeping the damper open half way due to the high water in chicken and seemed to work perfectly.

Only change I will try next time is just adding a marinade to it. For all the pro's here, any suggestions on a good marinade for chicken?

Anyhow, just wanted to give an update on the awesomeness "if thats a word?" of my Bradley smoker.
Go here for all your smoke and grilling needs: http://www.yardandpool.com

FLBentRider

Good job on the yardbirds.

there is a brine on the recipe site that I have used http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35 it  works!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Star,
Sounds great!  I agree with FLBR on the recipe link he has provided you.

By the way, for a tasty rub for chicken, I recommend Jan's Dry Rub also found on the recipe site.  It was originally concocted specifically for chicken.  Who knew it was going to be good on lots of things?! ;)  I should have marketed that stuff. :D

KyNola

minnowfisher

hi Kynola,
What link is Jans dry rub in, can't seem to find, maybe looking in the wrong place.

Thanks

JFG
JFG
Ne Obliviscaris, Sans Peur
Once an Argyll, always an Argyll

Mr Walleye

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

KyNola

minnowfisher

Thanks Guys,
               Your help is much appreciated, I will look into the link supplied.

JFG
JFG
Ne Obliviscaris, Sans Peur
Once an Argyll, always an Argyll