replacing the door seal/gasket

Started by JimT, February 22, 2009, 07:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimT

Hi everyone,
have enjoyed lurking here for several years.  The door seal on my OBS has finally bit the dust, and I need to replace it.  Did a brief search here and didn't find anything (if there was previously a thread on this I'd welcome the link). I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who's done this before--what's involved, how much a replacement seal costs, where to get one, etc etc.  Very much appreciated!  fwiw currently waiting for my most recent pork butt to get up to final temp. 

thanks in advance.

Jim

Smoking Duck

Hi Jim,

If memory serves me correctly, I do believe that the door seal is held on with screws.  It should be as simple as unscrewing the old one and replacing with a new one.  I'm sure if I'm wrong, someone else will come along with the correct way.

For all of your Bradley needs, I suggest www.yardandpool.com.  They usually have an abundance of parts and have great customer service.  They're also members here and are always willing to help anyone out.

Good luck!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

pensrock

I'm pretty sure you can get a replacement seal from Yard & Pool. I do not know if Tiny Tim carrys parts or not. But I would check with both of them first.

I know others here have replaced the seals before so hopefully one of them will chime in to explain how to do it.

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Jim

Welcome to the forum

To change a door seal,

Its easier to do if you remove the door and lay it flat, (but not necessary).
Start by removing the 20 or so screws that are located behind the front lip of the seal
The seal has a front and back lip that sandwiches the inside skin of your door when all the screws are out
pull the seal and inside skin away from the door then remove the old seal there are 2 metal tabs located on the bottom
they are there to support the seal on the bottom.
When putting in the new seal i recommend you warm it up slightly it becomes more flexible this way and easier to install
Before you slightly tighten all the screws back (Just snug don't need to be tight) make sure your new seal is aligned with the edges of the door.

Brian

JimT

thanks!! the Yard and Pool suggestion does the trick, the seal is 10 bucks, which is better than I'd hoped.  I also need a new drip bowl, so this will kill a couple of birds with one stone.

Can't check the door right now as it's in use, but I don't see screws offhand and I've got no clue where my original owner's manual is.   :-[   so if anyone's replaced the seal, I'm still curious as to what's involved.

again, thanks very much for the Yard and Pool reference.
Jim

ps. as I was typing that, Brian came through with the description of how to do it.  thanks Brian, and thanks everyone.

Habanero Smoker

Hi JimT;

Welcome.

Pull the seal gentle away from the door. You will see the screws behind the magnetic strip.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)