New here and have questions about building!!

Started by wkahler, February 22, 2009, 02:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkahler

Hey guys, i am new here and i have been in the grilling and roasting kick for about 6-8mths now and want to venture into smoking.  Thought about buying a 4 rack smoker for the easiness of it, but like the idea of building my own.  I just was wondering what exactly i need...................i have been reading some post and understand the basic idea.  I need a heat element, smoker adapter and of course a unit.  I was thinking about a old freezer, but was wondering about the insulation issue...............how do you make sure it is not toxic?  Can you take it out and replace it with something, if so where to buy it?  Also does anyone have a blue print of sorts for building one out a freezer?  Thanks for the help in advance, and sorry i am so naive to this area, but i have to start somewhere and figured i might as well be up front with my ignorance :)  E-mail is the easiest way to reach me since i have little time on here, but feel free to e-mail!!!  [email protected]
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum wkahler!

I'm not sure about the insulation issue, most that build one out of a freezer or fridge use it for cold smoking. A commercial kitchen warming cabinet or proofer would be a better choice for a cabinet since it was built for heat.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

wkahler

Well that is where i need the guidance!!!  Mainly what i am planing on smoking is ham, turkey to start with since i have that currently available.  I am not sure if it would be cheaper to start with a 4/6 rack smoker, but i like the challenge of the build!

Caneyscud

I have seen them a number of ways.  First you need to establish if you will be cold smoking or smoking.  If smoking how high of a temp are you going to go?  Most fridge/freezer smokers are cold smokers or offset smokers.

Strip all the plastic off, even the door seal.  If you smoke, rather than cold smoke - they will melt.  Make sure the fridge or freezer is very old - the kind with metal exterior AND (especially) interior.  Many older ones have fiberglass insulation, that would be good.  If something other than fiberglass, the heat of smoking might break it down and cause possible noxious vapors.  If you can find the right type, they make great smokers as they really hold the heat well.  I have seen a upper freezer/ lower fridge type unit turned upside down and the freezer used as a firebox.  A hole was cut between the two compartments.  Some models had a space under the fridge for the compressor.  After that is all cleared out, it can also be used as a "firebox".  That way, you don't have to open the main door to add wood.  The fridge is then the smoker and the upper freezer can be used as a cold smoker.  Most guys just use a hot plate with a metal pan to hold wood chips.  Cut some holes for combustion air and for exhaust and you are set.  

You could buy a Bradley generator unit, but if you do that, you might as well buy the whole thing for the time involved.  There are other smoke generators available - Smoke Daddy, Caja China Smoker Unit, and Smoke Pistol.

Unless you had one already, the effort to locate an old fridge might be a chore.  You could make one out of metal building siding, or one out of a standard garbage can - but I don't like the galvanizing.  I would probably do one out of a drum.  One of the neatest and prettiest is by Cowgirl - it is not electric, but that wouldn't be hard to change.  
http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2008/05/my-uds-so-far.html

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Threadkiller Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

wkahler

Well after some thought and consideration from the above, i think i will go with the drum smoker or just buy one depending on the easiness of getting a good drum!  Anyone know the best place to look for a used one, or even know of one forsale!