Cheese time and flavor

Started by oldsmoker, February 26, 2009, 02:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldsmoker

Need advice want to smoke some cheese. Do not know how long to ssmoke it and what flavor is best. would like to know what the experts say.
OLDSMOKER

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: OldSMOKER on February 26, 2009, 02:40:21 PM
Need advice want to smoke some cheese. Do not know how long to smoke it and what flavor is best. would like to know what the experts say.

When i did cheese yesterday i only used the smoke gen for heat, vent open fully and 4 pucks of oak. When the smoke was done i let cool on racks then wrapped in plastic wrap and put in fridge.  I did swiss and pepperjack

nepas

pensrock

try to keep the temp below 80 degrees F. even if you need to put a big bowl of ice in the tower. Also I do not put water in the bowl.

KyNola

I'm a big fan of white cheddar smoked with 3 hours of maple.  Smoked cheese is a matter of personal smoke taste but it all needs to be wrapped or vac sealed for several days in order to let the smoke flavor permeate the cheese and mellow.

Enjoy and let us know about your results!

KyNola

Smoking Duck

The harder cheeses will take on smoke quicker than the softer cheeses, so judge accordingly.  I go about 3 hours on average with my cheeses and prefer either hickory, apple, cherry, maple or pecan but go with what your taste preferences are.  If you can allow 10 days rest period after smoking, you'll be greatly rewarded.  I have some packs I did in November that just got opened yesterday and they're the best I've had.  Always make more than you think and try to save as long as you can.  Don't freeze the cheese at it will affect the texture of the cheese.

Keep temp inside the box at 80F but definitely not more than 90F.  Keep a well stocked refer with adult beverage and have fun.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

manxman

I have experimented with anything between 2 hours and 6 hours using block sizes of around 6 inches x 4 inches x 1 inch thick, now tend to smoke for 4.5 -5 hours and have found either oak or apple the best for me.  :)

Also important to follow the advice about temperature, wrapping and storage that others have given.

Manxman

La Quinta

Hummmm...as I fancy myself a cheese freaky nympho girl now....I just go 3 hours (tops)..last night I did Monterey Jack and a cheese called Kesseri (like parm on steriods in flavor...not so sure how that one is gonna come out) anyway....I have always preferred softer cheeses to smoke...made some killer chedder...horseradish cheese and gouda are AMAZING...I've done mozerella...very good...

I guess the point is...you don't have to spend big bucks on the cheese...just your basic supermarket cheeses can be amazing...  :)

West Coast Kansan

I like wood flavors that follow the color.  Light cheese colors I use Apple or Alder, Oak is a great middle of the road, all purpose smoke for me.  The strong cheese flavors I use Hickory.

Smoking Duck advice about allowing the cheese to mellow for a while is great advice.  The smoke flavor distributes and gets better over time.

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)