Wood For Cheese

Started by NePaSmoKer, February 28, 2009, 06:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Ok y'all got me hooked on smokin cheese. Going to do a few more today so what is good for the smoke? Was thinking maybe some apple, cherry or alder.

nepas

pensrock

95% of all the cheese I do, is with apple, the other 5% is hickory or oak.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: pensrock on February 28, 2009, 06:48:03 AM
95% of all the cheese I do, is with apple, the other 5% is hickory or oak.

Thanks pens

nepas

KyNola

I like maple for smoking cheese.  I'm going to smoke a load of cheese this weekend.  I think I may use cherry this time just to experiment.

NePaS, just don't use......mes.....me......m.......can't even bring myself to utter the word.  You know the one. :D

KyNola

Smokin Soon

I have used Apple, Maple and Hickory. Hickory is the winner for me.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: KyNola on February 28, 2009, 07:04:38 AM
I like maple for smoking cheese.  I'm going to smoke a load of cheese this weekend.  I think I may use cherry this time just to experiment.

NePaS, just don't use......mes.....me......m.......can't even bring myself to utter the word.  You know the one. :D

KyNola

Ky

You mean dont say messy-quite  :D

nepas

westexasmoker

I am thinking MESQUITE!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

sage03

hi guys.. I've been reading all these posts bout which wood would be good (how much wood could a woodchuck ......)ha ha !! I"m new to these posts but have been following them for some time,so here goes... Last xmas i tried apple with 2 blocks each of x-tra sharp,sharp, medium cheddar and colby..did it on 12/26/08..opened in late Jan...about 3 weeks.  Holy Smoke !! turned out awesome. Just did 2nd batch with same plus Horseradish chedder only with pecan...let sit for same time frame...about 3 weeks..thi turned out even better.. sonext time will try maple ..can't wait!!!

NePaSmoKer

Pens

I didn't have anymore apple left so i am using some oak, 4 pucks going right now. Doing some Swiss and pepperjack for my neighbor and mild and sharp for us. I let the cheddar sit out at room temp for 3 hours so the surface got kinda fry. I read that doing this will make the smoke adhere better to it.

nepas

manxman

You won't go wrong with oak NPS, great with a mature (?sharp) cheddar in particular.  :)
Manxman

pensrock

I agree oak will be just fine. I normally do not need to allow the cheese to come up to temp. But if its cold and the smoker is warm then you can have a chance for condensation to occur. So in that case I would let it warm up. I normally put cold cheese into a cold smoker and start, this allows both to come to temp together, I have never had a problem doing it this way. You do not want the cheese wet because I think that will cause some of the ashy taste.

NePaSmoKer

Ok cool, oak

I got the vent going, this is keeping the IT around 64-70*

nepas

pensrock

QuoteI got the vent going, this is keeping the IT around 64-70*

That will work fine. I'm not sure you will be smoking long enough though. I normally smoke for 2-3 hours depending on the type of cheese. But since you are a virgin its best to under do it vs too much smoke. After you have done cheese a few times you'll find how much is right for your taste.

I just sliced up some x-sharp NY cheddar that I smoked before xmas. We have a thing called 'the barstool open' tomorrow and I'm taking some cheese for the team to snack on. The barstool open is a way to rasie money for charities. Nine different bars/clubs get together and make thier own putt-putt hole. The teams travel to each location and play that hole, when all nine holes have been played by all the teams then the winners are anounced. Its a lot of fun, and its very important to have a designated driver. Some places get a bus for all thier teams. BTW, the cheddar that has sat since Nov..... is fantastic!  :D

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: pensrock on February 28, 2009, 01:31:59 PM
QuoteI got the vent going, this is keeping the IT around 64-70*

That will work fine. I'm not sure you will be smoking long enough though. I normally smoke for 2-3 hours depending on the type of cheese. But since you are a virgin its best to under do it vs too much smoke. After you have done cheese a few times you'll find how much is right for your taste.

I just sliced up some x-sharp NY cheddar that I smoked before xmas. We have a thing called 'the barstool open' tomorrow and I'm taking some cheese for the team to snack on. The barstool open is a way to rasie money for charities. Nine different bars/clubs get together and make thier own putt-putt hole. The teams travel to each location and play that hole, when all nine holes have been played by all the teams then the winners are anounced. Its a lot of fun, and its very important to have a designated driver. Some places get a bus for all thier teams. BTW, the cheddar that has sat since Nov..... is fantastic!  :D

Wow pens that sounds good.

nepas

KyNola

Pretty neat idea Pens. 

I have 12 pounds of white cheddar and 2.5 pounds of gouda smoking as we speak.  3 hours of alternating maple and cherry.  Using the Bradley cold smoke set up, ambient temp is 33 degrees and snowing, tower temp is 50 degrees.

Life is pretty good right now.

KyNola