Bread Pudding

Started by car54, February 28, 2009, 05:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

car54

I have always liked bread pudding and the only places that
have it  are high end restaurants. Does anyone have any recipes for it?

Thanks, Brad

NePaSmoKer

Ingredients for Bread Pudding Recipe:
2 cups of milk
¼ cup of butter
2/3 cup of white sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
½ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
3 cups of bread that is torn into small pieces
½ cup of raisins or berries - this is an optional choice

Directions for making Bread Pudding Recipe:
In a medium saucepan at medium heat, heat the milk until it forms a film on top
Combine the butter and milk and stir until the butter is melted
Cool until it is lukewarm
Combine the sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla
Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed for one minute
Slowly add in the milk mix
Place the bread in a lightly greased casserole dish that is 1 ½ quarts
Sprinkle with the raisins or berries (opt)
Pour the batter over top of the bread
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes until it is set

nepas

KyNola

NePaS,
Where's the bourbon sauce that goes on top of the bread pudding once it's done?

KyNola

RossP

Mmmm bread pudding. I have not had good bread pudding since my mother passed away. She did not use a recipe, at least not one that we could find. It as been over 15 years since I ave ad a good bread pudding. I would love a good recipe for Bread pudding. I would even give up my mom's recipe for soft taco shells for a good bread pudding recipe.

Ross
Original Bradley Smoker
Cold Smoker Attachment
Teal Termapen

car54

Thanks Nepas,

I thought that you might be the 1st one to post a recipe. I'll give it a try.

Brad

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: KyNola on February 28, 2009, 07:49:46 PM
NePaS,
Where's the bourbon sauce that goes on top of the bread pudding once it's done?

KyNola

Dang Ky

I forgot all about it

nepas

HCT

This bread pudding is great on its own, but for a little more punch drizzle Bourbon Sauce over individual servings. A bakery-quality French baguette makes this dish even better.
. Serves 8 to 10.
Ingredients
1   French baguette (18- to 20-inch), torn into 1-inch pieces (10 cups)
1   cup golden raisins
3/4   cup bourbon
6   tablespoons unsalted butter , cubed and chilled, plus extra for baking dish
8   large egg yolks
1 1/2   cups packed light brown sugar
3   cups heavy cream
1   cup whole milk
1   tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2   teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4   teaspoon nutmeg
1/4   teaspoon salt
3   tablespoons granulated sugar

Instructions
. 1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Arrange bread in single layer on baking sheet and bake until crisp and browned, about 12 minutes, turning pieces over halfway through drying time and rotating baking sheet front to back. Let bread cool. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees.
. 2. Meanwhile, heat raisins with 1/2 cup bourbon in small saucepan over medium-high heat until bourbon begins to simmer, 2 to 3 minutes. Strain mixture, reserving bourbon and raisins separately.
. 3. Butter 13 by 9-inch baking dish. Whisk yolks, brown sugar, cream, milk, vanilla, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in large bowl. Whisk in remaining 1/4 cup bourbon plus bourbon used to plump raisins. Toss in toasted bread until evenly coated. Let mixture sit until bread begins to absorb custard, about 30 minutes, tossing occasionally. If majority of bread is still hard when squeezed, soak for another 15 to 20 minutes.
. 4. Pour half of bread mixture into prepared baking dish and sprinkle with half of raisins. Pour remaining bread mixture into dish and sprinkle with remaining raisins. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
. 5. Meanwhile, mix granulated sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in small bowl. Using fingers, cut 6 tablespoons butter into sugar mixture until size of small peas. Remove foil from pudding, sprinkle with butter mixture, and bake, uncovered, until custard is just set, 20 to 25 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees and bake until top of pudding forms golden crust, about 2 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and cool at least 30 minutes or up to 2 hours. Serve. (Leftover bread pudding should be refrigerated; reheat individual portions in microwave.)

. Bourban Sauce
Makes about 1 cup.
. Ingredients
1 1/2   teaspoons cornstarch
1/4   cup bourbon
3/4   cup heavy cream
2   tablespoons sugar
   Pinch salt
2   teaspoons unsalted butter , cut into small pieces

Instructions
. Whisk cornstarch and 2 tablespoons bourbon in small bowl until well combined. Heat cream and sugar in small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Whisk in cornstarch mixture and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and cook until sauce thickens, 3 to 5 minutes. Off heat, stir in salt, butter, and remaining 2 tablespoons bourbon. Drizzle warm sauce over cut bread pudding. (Sauce can be refrigerated in airtight container for up to 5 days; reheat on stovetop.)
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

manxman

I LOVE bread and butter pudding, two great looking recipes. Would never have thought of using French baguette, that's a must try!  :)
Manxman

West Coast Kansan

NePa has posted what we have always done.  The HCT variety looks like a must try with the heavy cream and brown sugar.  That with the rasins looks like candy.   :o too good

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

HCT

I picked up some day old French Baquettes today. Going to make this one. ;) ;D

New Orleans Style Bread Pudding

12 to 14 cups 1-inch cubes day-old white bread, such as French or Italian
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 cups heavy cream
4 cups whole milk
6 large eggs
1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
4 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup raisins
Confectioners' sugar, for garnish
1 recipe Whiskey Sauce, recipe follows
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the bread in a large bowl. Grease a 9 by 13-inch casserole dish with the remaining tablespoon of butter and set aside.
Combine the heavy cream, milk, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and raisins in a large bowl. Whisk to mix. Pour the cream mixture over the bread, and stir to combine. Allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for 30 to 45 minutes.
Transfer the bread mixture to the casserole dish and bake until the center of the bread pudding is set, 50 to 60 minutes.
Garnish the bread pudding with confectioners' sugar and serve warm with warm Whiskey Sauce.
Whiskey Sauce:
2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cup bourbon or other whiskey
Pinch salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
In a 1-quart saucepan set over medium heat, combine the cream, milk, and sugar. Place the cornstarch and 1/4 cup of the bourbon in a small mixing bowl and whisk to blend and make a slurry. Pour the slurry into the cream mixture and bring to a boil. Once the sauce begins to boil, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Remove the sauce from the heat, add the salt, and stir in the butter and the remaining 1/2 cup of bourbon. Serve warm.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"