For Those Who Do Cake....

Started by La Quinta, February 28, 2009, 08:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

La Quinta

This is a killer cake...recipe is from a loser on the Ultimate Recipe Showdown...(I was outraged that she lost!!!)  :) I don't often eat sweets but this is really good...

Grapefruit Cake (it's a bundt)

Baking Spray
2.5 cups of All Purpose Flour
2 cups of granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp baking powder
.5 tsp salt
3 eggs
1 cup of canola oil
One half a cup of freshly squeezed ruby red grapefruit juice
One half a cup of freshly squeezed Florida orange juice (sorry but I had to get my Florida plug in!!!)
1 very ripe bannana...mashed
12 oz sour cream
2 TBLS Orange zest
2 TBLS Grapefruit zest

Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Put in a mixer, add the three eggs, MIX. Next add the oil...MIX. Add the OJ, grapefruit juice and bannana...MIX. Lastly add the sour cream and zests. Mix.

Spray a nonstick bundt pan with baking spray...pour in the batter and bake at 350 for 45 min.

Now...here is how my husband "kicked it up a notch"...When the cake cooled he poked it with an ice pick and drizzled Orange liquore all over it (he is a crazy kook!!!) ...and then we waited until it was fully soaked in. Bout 2 hours...

BUT WAIT.... THERE'S MORE...A SAUCE...

1/4 cup grapefruit juice
2 cups Confectioners sugar
1 TBL of both Orange and Gapefruit zest
1/4 cup of chopped pecans

Mix the juice and sugar until combined...(add more juice if necessary...it's a glaze really) stir in the zest and pecans and drizzle over this bad boy!!!

It's a very moist cake....very delicious...guests went home with big slabs...(he had to make another one the next day!!!...He is the baker man in our home!!!)

Enjoy!!!

LQ and B

Habanero Smoker

This does look good. Yesterday I bought some Ugli fruit, and I love Ugli fruit; but it's only available for a short period of time. Your recipe has me thinking, is it possible to replace the grapefruit and orange juice with the Ugli juice.

Of course I am also going to make this following you recipe exactly. Looks like a nice dessert for Easter Sunday.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

LQ,

That looks good.    I think that will be the next cake I bake. 

I'm not sure the orange liquor makes Bob a crazy kook though ;D  Sounds like a nice addition.

Deb

La Quinta

I should mention the second day we made it...I added poppy seeds and a little grated zuchinni...It's really nice for breakfast or dessert with ice cream...
Anyhoo...give it a whirl....(if ya like bundt cakes)!  :)

deb415611

Nothing like cake for breakfast ;D

La Quinta

YA THINK!!!!! Nice cup of coffee (tea for me...) and a piece of bundt cake...oh yeah...SWEEEEETTT!!!!  :D

NePaSmoKer

Like Homer Simpson

BUNDT CAKE MMMMMMMM

I like it LQ

nepas

seemore

That cake sounds light and refreshing.
I am going to have to make it.  If we like it, it will be the dessert for our Easter dinner.
Mrs. S

La Quinta

Ooops...I just caught an error in the recipe post...

should be 1.5 tsp of baking soda (not powder)

Sorry...

La Quinta

Try it Mrs. S....it's pretty good!!!

Thanks for giving it a try...  :)

deb415611

LQ,

Help!  See red below.  1tsp soda & 1 1/2 powder maybe?

Quote from: La Quinta on February 28, 2009, 08:02:04 PM
This is a killer cake...recipe is from a loser on the Ultimate Recipe Showdown...(I was outraged that she lost!!!)  :) I don't often eat sweets but this is really good...

Grapefruit Cake (it's a bundt)

Baking Spray
2.5 cups of All Purpose Flour
2 cups of granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp baking powder

.5 tsp salt
3 eggs
1 cup of canola oil
One half a cup of freshly squeezed ruby red grapefruit juice
One half a cup of freshly squeezed Florida orange juice (sorry but I had to get my Florida plug in!!!)
1 very ripe bannana...mashed
12 oz sour cream
2 TBLS Orange zest
2 TBLS Grapefruit zest

Sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Put in a mixer, add the three eggs, MIX. Next add the oil...MIX. Add the OJ, grapefruit juice and bannana...MIX. Lastly add the sour cream and zests. Mix.

Spray a nonstick bundt pan with baking spray...pour in the batter and bake at 350 for 45 min.

Now...here is how my husband "kicked it up a notch"...When the cake cooled he poked it with an ice pick and drizzled Orange liquore all over it (he is a crazy kook!!!) ...and then we waited until it was fully soaked in. Bout 2 hours...

BUT WAIT.... THERE'S MORE...A SAUCE...

1/4 cup grapefruit juice
2 cups Confectioners sugar
1 TBL of both Orange and Gapefruit zest
1/4 cup of chopped pecans

Mix the juice and sugar until combined...(add more juice if necessary...it's a glaze really) stir in the zest and pecans and drizzle over this bad boy!!!

It's a very moist cake....very delicious...guests went home with big slabs...(he had to make another one the next day!!!...He is the baker man in our home!!!)

Enjoy!!!

LQ and B

deb415611

Oh, I see the answer above. 

Stupid Deb,  asked the question after assuming the answer.  My cake has 1 1/2 tsp powder & 1 tsp soda :-[    It won't be the same anyways as I'm modifying it a bit - 1/2 white whole wheat, eggbeaters, light sour cream ,  subbing applesauce for 1/2 the canola and I only had 1 1/4 cups of sugar so used confectioners sugar (as I'm writing I realize I have vanilla sugar I could have used >:()  So I"ll be lucky if it works anyways. 

La Quinta

Go with it Deb...no worries...may get a little poofy on ya!!! It get's pretty poofy anyway!!! Really...if I were you I'd blow off the glaze...it doesn't really need it...saves a lot of calories not doing it...but that's me...hubby loves the glaze...me...frozen yogurt a wee bit melted...yum...

deb415611

I was going to skip the glaze.  I'm not a glaze or frosting person anyways.   The cake batter tastes good!  I was thinking about the orange liquor but that kind of defeats the whole lightening it up :) 

La Quinta

Nah...just do a quick spinkle girl...you deserve it!!!  :)