• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

its broke !!!!

Started by viceman, March 07, 2009, 07:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viceman

new member here.   great forum for us smoke heads.

i got a problem.   finally got some nice weather and i'm dying to smoke.
i called bradley but they won't be in until monday.
the up down arrows on my keypad on my 4 rack digital won't respond.
the down arrow doesn't work. no beeps no nothing. the up arrow works "sometimes" .
it will heat and spit pucks but the temp setting is stuck at 280
this is killing me. i was planning on doing a but tomorrow.   i'm toying with the idea of leaving the door open to keep the temp down
smoking it and finishing in the oven.   the butt is marinading so its not like i can keep it until i get parts. 
what would you guys do?

Smoking Duck

I would leave the door open to get the temp down to a minimum of 220 (but I would guess 240 would work) until you get all the smoke you want on it.  Then I'd finish up in the oven at 200 until desired IT is reached.  The lower you can get it with the door open would be best.  Maybe put some ice in the cabinet as well to help keep the temp down.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

viceman

thanks.   i really don't have any choice, i have to cook this thing.  i'll just have to hang out with it and keep an eye on it

pensrock

You can open up the generator to make sure a wire did not come unhooked. Also try pressing the button real hard, maybe it is just not making contact.

viceman

i had it apart, all the conectors are good.   i just got this thing in november.  used it twice.
gave my charcol smoker away.  are these problems common ?  are there reliability issues ?

pensrock

With the large number of people coming here you get to hear all kinds of problems. Therefore you will get many responces to try to get you running. There are some common problems but most of the time its a loose wire or something like that. Maybe Brian from Bradley will stop in this weekend, he is a service tech for them and the admin for this forum. He may be able to help you further.

westexasmoker

Not much help with the DBS as I have the OBS, but bradley customer service will take care of you.  Give them a call on Monday, until then as SD has mention prop the door open to bring the temp down so you can at least get your smoke done for the weekend!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Mr Walleye

Hi Viceman and welcome to the forum.

One problem that a number of people have had is the fact they have large fingers. As Pens pointed out make sure you are pushing fairly hard in the very centre of the button, even use the tip of your finger. I have seen s number of people that had that problem until they got the knack of it. Other than that I haven't seen any problems just with the buttons. Barring that I would smoke it as your secondary plan and move to the oven. Bradley will get you fixed up, their customer service is good.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Bradley (Head Office)

Hi Viceman

Sorry to hear your having troubles

From what you describe you have a defective display panel
The only fix i can give you right now is to fully remove the display panel from the generator once you get it out remove the plastic front cover
then feed the ribbon cable back through the hole in the front and replug the cable in (leave the plastic front cover off )
Click to enlarge

Fully remove this from the Generator

This is what you want to be left with
From here you can directly push the buttons

Call the office on Monday
And ask the customer service girl to send you a new display panel
Or if you want ask to be transfered to me and i can take care of it

Brian

carnie1

;D Now thats what I call top notch customer service  ;D

viceman

wow, you guys are amazing. thanks for all the responses.  i'm going to pull the cover and take a look and see if its the membrane or the buttons.  once again thanks for the help.  my confidence is restored ;D

Mr Walleye

Quote from: viceman on March 07, 2009, 09:58:44 AM
wow, you guys are amazing. thanks for all the responses.  i'm going to pull the cover and take a look and see if its the membrane or the buttons.  once again thanks for the help.  my confidence is restored ;D

Viceman

Keep us posted how you make out with both the unit and your smoke.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

KyNola

Carnie, I couldn't have said it better myself.  Holy S__t!  That IS customer service.

KyNola

FLBentRider

That's Great service!

My suggestion was going to be put more food in there.

As many butts as will fit.

Stand them on end if you have to.

The additional mass will help keep the temperature down.

The side effect is that you will end up with alot more pulled pork...

Oh Darn....

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Up In Smoke

unbelievable Brian.....just plain unbelievable.
i work in the auto service business and the competition between techs at this time is unreal, they have completely forgotten that there is a customer on the other end of the car.......man if we could perform half of the customer service you do.....
i am going to bring this post up at the next tech meeting.
                                                                                  you rule!
                                                                                            jerry
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.