Ground Beef Jerky Through The Slicer

Started by Mr Walleye, March 07, 2009, 03:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

Quote from: Mr Walleye on March 08, 2009, 01:08:42 PM
Quote from: FLBentRider on March 08, 2009, 12:56:45 PM
They are a little unweildy in the kitchen sink, it's been a while since I've been able to find the laundry sink. I'll have to dig it out.
Or... do the laundry.  :D  :D  :D

It's in a very non-usefull location. laundry gets done here, every day. six people generate alot of laundry.  ;)
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Mr Walleye

Quote from: FLBentRider on March 08, 2009, 02:14:16 PM
They are a little unweildy in the kitchen sink, it's been a while since I've been able to find the laundry sink. I'll have to dig it out.

It's in a very non-usefull location. laundry gets done here, every day. six people generate alot of laundry.  ;)

I was just kidding with ya FLB.  :D

I here ya on the washer & dryer never being shut off!  :o

I swear those suckers are on the whole time we are in the house!  ???

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

FLBentRider

Quote from: Mr Walleye on March 08, 2009, 02:44:14 PM
Quote from: FLBentRider on March 08, 2009, 02:14:16 PM

I here ya on the washer & dryer never being shut off!  :o

I swear those suckers are on the whole time we are in the house!  ???

Between cleaning out the vent, (ours goes up through the roof) and a new more-efficient dryer, the dryer almost keeps up with the washer...

talk about hijacking your thread... sorry....
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Gizmo

Don't mean to continue on the hi-jacking of the thread but if your dryer is venting over 10 feet, you might want to check into a in-line fan.  When we moved into our house, the dryer hose and vent was packed with lint.  It took me several hours to get all the lint out and useable.  Thank God for the dryer shutting off soon after starting and complaining that the lint filter needed cleaning.  When we had the kitchen remodeled, it was suggested to put in an inline fan and it works great.  Our dryer vent goes up 8 feet, then over the hallway and kitchen, about 22 feet.  It was a great move and operation is automatic.  When the dryer turns on, the air flow turns on the booster fan.  When the dryer turns off, the fan will automatically turn off shortly there after as it will continue to draw out hot dryer air. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

josbocc

Hmmmmm,

Sounds like you guys might be on to something that would make my dehydrator work more efficiently.  And I always thought that laundry talk was boring. ;) ;D ;)
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

deb415611

Thanks Stargazer & Mike!  Actually it's my son that is thanking you.  I just put two lbs in the oven to dry.  I did a lb. last week and I think it was gone the next day.

I can only fit two lbs in the oven so I think a dehydrator may be the next tool I purchase.  I have some 6x6" square glass pans that I picked up at Ikea and they are perfect for one pound of jerky meat.   

I used the Hi-Mountain jerky seasonings & cure.  When I have some time I am going to work on my own seasonings. 

lumpy

I'm curious about the toughness on ground jerky as compared to slicing a roast. I've never had ground meat jerky before. It looks good but does it have the snap that jerky from a roast would have?

Lumpy

Mr Walleye

Quote from: lumpy on March 18, 2009, 12:30:26 PM
I'm curious about the toughness on ground jerky as compared to slicing a roast. I've never had ground meat jerky before. It looks good but does it have the snap that jerky from a roast would have?

Lumpy

Lumpy

No, it's not as tough as whole muscle jerky, although it is a good chew. It doesn't have that... tear your teeth out toughness to it. Now that I have done quite a bit of ground I am beginning to prefer it. In the past I had always swore by whole muscle jerky but my ways are beginning to change. I found moving to the ground jerky it took me a while to get the spices dialed in for it the way I prefer it.

Mike

WhiteSmoke

Thanks for the comparison Mike.

I've always been a whole muscle jerky guy, but the little lady's not so little son has been trying to get me to switch to making the GB version.  I tried GB once with a gun and it was just a fiasco.  Now that I've seen this, I just gotta give it a try.  Especially since I have recently acquired a similar slicer at auction for $10 and was wondering how to best make use of it!

Mr Walleye

Whitesmoke

I was pretty impressed with this method. Comparing it to the shotting it through the jerky gun I find the texture to be sort of "denser". If that makes sense? It takes a little better bit to chew it. This could be because it is a little thicker but it could also be because you pack it down in the pan before freezing. Either way this method will be in my rotation from now on. In fact probably sooner then later because all 22 lbs is gone. I may give the roll idea a shot and slice them into medallions and see how it goes.

Mike

WhiteSmoke

Mr Walleye,

Pardon me for being Captain Obvious, but if your 22 lbs are gone that means you went through a kilo a day.

Talk about conspicuous consumption!!  Ah well, nothing exceeds like excess I aways say.

Gonna break out the dehydrater tonight and clean it up and pop some GB in the freezer Friday night and into the dehydrator Saturday.  Oh Lord!  It's gonna be a carnivourfest at my place this weekend... ;D

Quick question though.  You put yours in the freezer 15 hours.  In your opinion, knowing I'm using a similarly ~ahem~ power deprived slicer, was 15 good, or would you go longer or shorter?

Mr Walleye

Quote from: WhiteSmoke on March 18, 2009, 03:32:50 PM
Mr Walleye,

Pardon me for being Captain Obvious, but if your 22 lbs are gone that means you went through a kilo a day.

Talk about conspicuous consumption!!  Ah well, nothing exceeds like excess I aways say.

Gonna break out the dehydrater tonight and clean it up and pop some GB in the freezer Friday night and into the dehydrator Saturday.  Oh Lord!  It's gonna be a carnivourfest at my place this weekend... ;D

Quick question though.  You put yours in the freezer 15 hours.  In your opinion, knowing I'm using a similarly ~ahem~ power deprived slicer, was 15 good, or would you go longer or shorter?

I'm part "Pig"!  ;D ... So is my son!  ::)

I think the 15 hours was good. I had a couple of my "blocks stacked on top of each other and I would recommend "not" doing that as the middle block wasn't frozen enough. Fortunately is was -30 outside so I just left it out there while I sliced the rest.  :o One of the few advantages of living in a cold climate... The world is my freezer!  :D

The slicer handled it fine. It didn't seem to put a big load on it or anything.

Mike

NePaSmoKer

The 10lbs i made for my vacation is gone too  :'( i feel like AP

nepas

WhiteSmoke

OK.  Picked up the X-lean, then I realized I have a question Mike....

How thick did you set the slicer?

Too thin and I'd make crispy beef paper, too thick and I'm makin' spiced hamburgers.

I'm thinkin' about 5 mm, or about 1/4 inch.

Am I in the ballpark?

Mr Walleye

I prefer to do mine about 3/16 thick but some do it at 1/4 inch. 3/16 is just my personal preference so your on the right track.

Keep us posted.

Mike