Pineapple Lime Chicken

Started by Brisket Lover, March 08, 2009, 12:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brisket Lover

Today I am dehydrating some pineapples and limes were on sale so I bought some of those too.  With what was left of them I put into a blender to make a marinade that I just injected into a roaster chicken.  Im not sure how I am going to cook it yet or what else to do with it but I have a few hours to decide.  I may just cut the back out and cook it in the oven.  It was fast an easy when I did Guy's Mojito Chicken a few months ago, and came out wonderful.

Brisket Lover

wasn't all that great.  Some of the chicken turned out mushy and really sour.  Im guessing too much lime.  We each had a full plate and I rinsed the rest off to use in another dish.  So experiment was not a success.

Gizmo

How long was the chicken in the lime?  I suspect if it was in there for a bit of time, the acidity in the lime broke down the chicken fibers.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Caneyscud

I would rather suspect the pineapple.  It contains a naturally occurring enzyme that breaks down protein and collagen.  I'd try it again, the flavor combo is great on yardbird.  I just wouldn't use the pineapple in the injection.  Use it on the outside - or under the skin.  A little heat goes good with the combo also.

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Threadkiller Extraordinaire' 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Brisket Lover

They were both on for about 3 hours or so until I finally go around to heating it up.  Next time I wont inject it because I know it is great on kabobs.

Habanero Smoker

I would think dehydration would have killed the enzymes, but I'm not sure. I know that when I use pineapple juice for flavor in a brine, I will bring it up to 165°F for a few seconds to kill the enzymes.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Brisket Lover

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on March 09, 2009, 02:08:39 PM
I would think dehydration would have killed the enzymes, but I'm not sure. I know that when I use pineapple juice for flavor in a brine, I will bring it up to 165°F for a few seconds to kill the enzymes.

Oh sorry, I meant what I didn't dehydrate I put into the blender.

Habanero Smoker

Oh! I see it now.

Caneyscud is right on the money about the enzymes. Fresh ginger is another one you want to be careful of; it also has enzymes that will turn you meat into mush.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Caneyscud

Did not realize that about fresh ginger!  Ginger beer and gingerade are pretty good though.  Could I be tenderizing my stomach lining, making me a softer, gentler caneyscud?

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Caneyscud on March 10, 2009, 01:02:09 PM
Did not realize that about fresh ginger!  Ginger beer and gingerade are pretty good though.  Could I be tenderizing my stomach lining, making me a softer, gentler caneyscud?

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire

Nah! Your are safe. :) When you buy ginger beer, gingerade or packaged pineapple juice they are pasteurized, so the enzymes are destroyed.

I
         don't
                   inhale.