• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pulled "Ham"

Started by seemore, March 08, 2009, 02:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seemore

Hey everyone!
We made a "ham" from a pork butt roast!  The recipe will be at the end of this post.
The pork butt is in the left rear corner of this picture, behind the Canadian bacon:

We smoked it in the Bradley at 225 degrees with hickory pucks until it hit an IT of 140, and removed it - along with the Canadian bacons.
Once inside, we removed the netting and placed it in a foil pan and basted it:

We put it back in the Bradley, basting it every 20 minutes, until it reached an IT of 190.  We then removed it from the Bradley and brough it in:

We covered it in foil and let it rest for two hours.  We then removed the foil and pulled it:

Needless to say, it was a loooooooooooooooooong day.  However, it was well worth it.
Mrs. said it reminded her of Christmas dinner at Grandma's.  Me?  I was too busy MUNCHING to be reminded of anything.   ;D

Here is the recipe (from www.getyourgrillon.net):

Pulled Ham

1 five-pound pork butt
5 T Morton sugar cure
5 t Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express* (*we used Lawry's Seasoning Salt)

Combine the cure and the seasoning and rub all over the roast.  Place in a zip-loc bag and let it cure for five days.

After five days, rinse the butt and soak it for about 2 hours in fresh water, then let it air-dry for another hour* (* we let it air-dry overnight in the 'fridge)

*The cooking method in the original recipe calls for it to be cooked on indirect heat at 250 degrees with hickory smoke for the IT of 140 in a Big Green Egg.  We of course, used our Bradley to cook this as described above.

After the roast hit 140, the roast was placed in a foil pan and the baste was made:

1/4 C brown sugar
1/8 C maple syrup
1 T cider vinegar
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1/2 C coffee
1 t Coleman's mustard
1T frozen orange juice concentrate

The pan went back into the BGE (*again for us we put it back in the Bradley), and got basted every 20 minutes until an IT of 190 was reached.
The pan was then brought inside and covered in foil to rest for two hours.  
Once cooled, the meat was pulled.

westexasmoker

Very nice seemore....VERY nice!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Mr Walleye

Nicely done Seemores!  8)

Looks mighty tasty.  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

West Coast Kansan

Pretty interesting.  So was it really ham taste / how far did the cure penetrate  ???

Click On Link For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes and Register at this site for Tuesday Night Chat Room Chat is FUN!

NOW THAT'S A SMOKED OYSTER (and some scallops)

Tenpoint5

Looks like a great conversion. I too would like to know if and how much Ham flavor there was?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

seemore

June here.  I was pleasantly surprised by the flavor.  It was throughout the meat.  We are going to fix it again, and instead of pulling it, we will leave it whole and slice it like ham.
I really don't think you would be dissapointed by the flavor.  Like I said, it reminded me of Christmas dinner at Grandma's - walking into her house and smelling that ham baking in the oven.
The house still smells like baked ham today.  We went out for a bit and came back in and WHAM!  That aroma hit us.
I hope you try it, and please let us know what you think of it!!

Up In Smoke

that looks absolutely awesome!
my to do list just keeps getting longer and longer.
i do have to ask though, what did you do with the bacon once the IT
hit 140?
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

NePaSmoKer

Those are very nice. I'm going to try this too.

Good going seemore's

nepas

seemore

Smokinrookie, we put the bacons in zip lock bags and have let them rest in the fridge the past two days.
Due to our crazy work schedules, we will probably not get to slicing them until tomorrow.
We slice them and put them in vacuum-sealed bags of about 7-10 slices, and freeze them.
Just keep adding to that list of your's;  the possibilities are endless - I never realized how many different ways there where until we joined this forum.
June

HCT

Mr. & Mrs., This is going on the top of my list, hopefully this weekend. Thanks for the pictorial, I can almost taste it. I would also slice it instead of pulling. Maybe give it a fast fry just to reheat the leftovers. :) 
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Habanero Smoker

I'm going to have to make this also. Looks real good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pensrock

I agree with everyone else, looks GREAT!  ;D

nascarbbq

Were do you get your net

Thanks
Kent

Smoking Duck

June and Scott,

Well done and the glaze looks remarkable!  You really outdid yourselves on this one!

Marc

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

seemore

Nascar, we got the netting through Butcher Packer - we ordered it online.
It is very tight, like putting on a pair of tightly woven panty hose.  You hopefully don't know what that's like, but if you do, you would empathize.....   :o
Seriously, I cut two lengths in half and stitched them together in order to fit the netting over the butt.   Sorry, I had to chuckle there after I read what I just typed.....
Long day at the office........ :-[
Mrs.