Jerkt cure

Started by oldsmoker, March 10, 2009, 03:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldsmoker

A friend gave me three npackages of cure that came out of Eastmans cure&seasoning. Is that the same cure that i coulde use in makingh summer sausage? look like pink salt . got three three oz packs if can use i will or if myour advice is toss o well                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
OLDSMOKER

Gizmo

You would have to look on Eastmans' site and look at the ingredients.  Many of the packaged cure kits are not pure pink salt and are a combination mixture.  Can't say I have ever seen one of packaged kit cures that were pink in color though.  Can't say I have seen many brands either.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I don't use Eastman, but I know that Eastman puts the cure in a separate package to keep it separate from it's seasoning, and if you want to use the cure you need to add it in yourself. It is most likely pink salt, but to be on the safe side send an email to Eastman. I was on their site, but I could not find a list of ingredients. If there are ingredients listed on the packages that read 6.25% sodium nitrite, if so then it is the same as pink salt.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)