Breakfst Fatty, Aces style

Started by aces-n-eights, March 11, 2009, 03:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aces-n-eights

I've read with interest the threads on egg-wrapped fatties.  I thought I'd give one a try with a bit of a difference.  I love hard-boiled eggs, but the yolk can be dry so I thought I'd try putting scrambled eggs in the center.  I want this one to be fairly mild, so there are very few spices in the mix.  Obviously there are a number of ways to heat it up if you want – spices, peppers in the egg mix, pepper jack cheese, spicier smoke... 

Here's the sausage (two pounds) mixed up and the eggs (6) cooling down.

I rolled out the sausage and layered on sliced ham, grated cheese and the scrambled eggs.

I rolled it up the "long" way.

An hour and 20 minutes of apple at 240 and an IT of 165.  The probe may have been in the egg mix, but figured it was cooked.

Tastes good!

A couple of things I will do differently next time – and there WILL be a next time!  We prefer very lean meat and this was a little on the greasy side.  I'll probably mix the sausage with some ground turkey to lean it out some.  I'll probably experiment with more spices.  I would make two loaves instead of one big one.

This should keep well in the frig – just slice off a chunk and heat it up.  And also could be a great way to feed a crowd for breakfast – make it up the day before and heat it up in the morning.
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

westexasmoker

That looks most excellent A&8!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

NePaSmoKer

Looks scrumdiddlyumptous there A&8

nepas

Smokin Soon

Looks YUMMY! How about makin up a real tasty omelet with a lot of goodies, green pepper, onion and BACON! Make a nice tight small omelet or even a breakfast burrito. That's my next one. Thanks for planting the seed!

Smoking Duck

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Tenpoint5

That looks Delicious!! Good morning after (Hangover) breakfast. Might have to give one of them a try at the smoke out.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Up In Smoke

i have to echo tenpoint,
looks great!
hangover helper i can see so many things...
can you crush up aspirin in these? ;D ;D
A&8 keep crankin it out.
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

aces-n-eights

Quote from: smokinrookie on March 11, 2009, 04:54:07 PM

can you crush up aspirin in these? ;D ;D

;D  Aspirin and jalapenos - Brilliant!
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

seemore

A & 8:  looks just plain scrumptious!

Up In Smoke

i really like the idea of scrambled eggs, gonna give that a shot!
a good thick slice of that on a biscuit....MMMMMMM :)
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Buck36

smokeitall

That looks awesome...I think I will try that and wrap it in bacon.

Yeah thanks for planting that seed, wow the possibilities.

Habanero Smoker

Looks good. One of these days I'm going to make a fatty.

If you egg yokes are coming out dry and/or have a greenish tint on the outside of the yoke you are cooking them at too high of a temperature for too long.

I will place the eggs in the pot, then cover with cold water one inch above the eggs. Place on a burner and heat on a medium-high to high flame. Bring the water to a boil, after it begins to boil put a lid on the pot and remove it from the heat. Let them set for about 15 minutes, if you have extra large eggs let them set a couple of extra minutes. Drain off hot water, and place the pot in the sink and run the cold water over the eggs until they are cool, or fill the pot half with cold water and the rest with ice.

Try not to boil more then two dozen eggs at a time. If you still get a greenish tint, adjust your time the next time you hard boil eggs.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)