• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Made It To Atlanta

Started by NePaSmoKer, March 15, 2009, 06:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

We finally got to Peachtree City around 5pm. I'm going to scout the place out while my wife is in her training classes all week. First stop tomorrow is the Dekalb Farmers Mkt. Maybe i will bump into Alton Brown and teach him a few tricks  :D  ;D.

nepas

FLBentRider

Cool. Glad you made it Ok.

Say Hi to Alton for me.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

Give Alton a big bear hug for me and tell him I'd love to co-host Iron Chef America with him!

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Caneyscud

Be sure you have the blue cheese chips at the Buckhead Diner.  Fish at the Atlanta Fish Market is good.  But most important - keep Mrs. NePas from Phipps Plaza Mall - trust me on this one!  Try the warehouse district for some cool stuff.  Atlanta is a fun place!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Threadkiller Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

NePaSmoKer

Cool Caney. I will have to check these places out.

I was out and found some large turkey brining bags with double seals. Supposed to brine a 24 lb bird in these bags. They were 5 bux so i bought both of em.

Going to wait until wife gets out of her class at 430 today then head to the farmers mkt. Need to find a holster for my thermapen.

nepas

pensrock

Glad to hear you made it ok and hope you have a great time. I have never been to Atlanta so I have zero suggestions on where to go, although I have been told where to go many times.  ;) ;D

Caneyscud

Good museums around.  The High shouldn't be too far from Peachtree city.  The Georgia Aquarium is pretty good according to my daughter - I haven't been yet.  If you do go the World of Coca Cola museum is now near the Aquarium.  The old one was worth going to.  The Fernbank musuem has good dino bones and not the beef rib kind, but the scary big kind!

Some of the older Southern Style restaurants are now gone except for Pitty Patt's Porch.  Might be worth a trip for their fried chicken and Pecan Pie.  

Rumor is that Underground Atlanta isn't a great place for anyone at night!  

An almost Have To - although not gourmet fare by far is the Varsity.  Collegiate hangout for decades.  World's largest drive-in restaurant.

BBQ - Harolds or Fat Matt's come up often.  Sam and Dave's is in Marietta I believe has been highly recommended

Chinese - I've heard raves about a place called Tasty China in Marietta I believe.  Szechuan I believe, so take napkins for the sweat.

If you do get talked into going to Phipps Plaza - try Phipps Tavern and try their Tavern Chips - some chips with the wow factor.

If you are not too conservative the CNN Studio tour is kinda fun to see how they do it!

Oh and another thing neat to see is the Fox Theater.  And near there is a great eatery Mary Mac's - Great southern food.

For the Bohemian flavor of life - try the Virginia Highlands area.

Atlanta is the San Fran of the South!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire

Up In Smoke

Aaahhhh the varsity,
make sure you are close to your room and don't have anywhere else to go after you eat.  ;)  :o
the chili burger is an absolute must, along with the chili slaw dog!!
also if you are in the Marietta area and craving a hot dog you have gotta try Brandy's on bells ferry rd.
it is a hole in the wall near the railroad tracks, but one of the hottest chili slaw dogs around.

2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

NePaSmoKer

Thanks guys

I am on my own tomorrow, wife has class for 10 hrs. Went to the DeKalb farmers mkt today. Cool place, bought some bulk spice and a killer loaf of sour dough bread. Still the elusive Thermapen holster is hiding somewhere here in the Atlanta area  ;D

nepas

Smokin Soon

Nepa, I have the Thermapen case for mine, but my friend found a really nice sunglass's case at the flea market that fit perfect.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Smokin Soon on March 16, 2009, 07:39:26 PM
Nepa, I have the Thermapen case for mine, but my friend found a really nice sunglass's case at the flea market that fit perfect.

I never thought of that. Prob better tha the therma case too.

nepas

La Quinta

NePas...I have been to Atlanta many times...just go have fun...BuckHead is ok...but go out and have fun...take the Mrs out to a nice down-home place...exsperiece the city...has a lot to offer..

Smokin Soon

I have some very vague memories of Atlanta, but I do remember having a great time at this place. Jaz Music and fondue, I don't even like fondue, but very good here. A fun place years ago.

http://www.dantesdownthehatch.com/

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

And if you like flyfishing let me steer you.....

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire