• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Seasoned up and ready to go

Started by BigFella, March 17, 2009, 08:28:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigFella

So last night I finally got my OBS seasoned up with some Special Blend and now I'm ready to go.  I only got about 75 minutes done before it started to rain (dang pop up showers).

Headed to Costco this week to pick up some ribs to go along with the 12lb. picnic ($0.69 a pound) I got this past weekend.  Think I might check on getting a corned beef brisket or two and try to make some Pastrami while I'm at it on Saturday (on sale for $0.89 a pound).

Just waiting for the PID to get here now.

I'm also going to move this to my balcony so that I don't have to carry food, etc. down two flights of stairs.  I'll have to run the cord through a window to an outlet inside, but that should be okay.

Here's a few pictures (sorry for the quality - they're from my phone).

Mr Walleye

Lookin' good BigFella!  ;)

Keep us posted on the first smoke!

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Caneyscud

That's Happy Smoke!

Looking good, can't wait to see the pics of the finished butt and ribs.

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Enigmatic Pontificator
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

BigFella

It has arrived... :)

Can't wait to get it going!!

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

thegozzzz

PID was the my best investment (other than my 2 bradleys). Life is good now, smoking is easy and food turns out great!

Smokin Soon

Well, BigFella, the fact that you are starting your Bradley endeavor tells me you have done your homework here. Now get smokin!  ;D

Smokin Soon

I meant to say "with an Auber" sorry!

RAK92

Hello All,

I just finished seasoning my Bradley as well (just got it this past week). This is an awesome website and I am looking forward to great food from my new smoker. I had a couple of questions, though?

1. I am seriously considering purchasing the PID, but do I really need it? I mean is it worth the $150 or do you think I would be able to get by with the temp control built in to the smoker itself?
2. If I do get the PID, why do you have to purchase an extra cord if you operate the Bradley for more than 13 hours? I am pretty knowledgeable about electricity basics, does this have anything to do with the electrical load, etc caused bu using the smoker for long periods of time? What does this extra cord actually do?
3. Regarding the smoker itself, I seasoned it with 4 bisquettes (and I used my 3 Bubba pucks - they worked great). I did notice that the entire bisquette does not burn before it is pushed into the water bowl. If you are using a large amount of bisquettes, how often do you have to open up the door (and hence drop the temp significantly) to remove the burnt bisquettes from the bowl? The reason I ask is they seem to pile up near one side of the bowl and I can see this blocking future burnt bisquettes from being dumped in the bowl. Any suggestions?

Again, great website and I appreciate all the great advice on here! Thanks!  :)

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum RAK92!

Quote from: RAK92 on March 21, 2009, 06:57:01 AM
1. I am seriously considering purchasing the PID, but do I really need it? I mean is it worth the $150 or do you think I would be able to get by with the temp control built in to the smoker itself?

You don't _need_ and PID, unless you require precise temperature control for smoking and some fish recipes.
I have turned out some really great pulled pork and other food without a PID.
Having a PID makes it more automated and more "set and forget"

2. If I do get the PID, why do you have to purchase an extra cord if you operate the Bradley for more than 13 hours? I am pretty knowledgeable about electricity basics, does this have anything to do with the electrical load, etc caused bu using the smoker for long periods of time? What does this extra cord actually do?

I have no idea what you mean. maybe the extra cable for the digital ? I have an OBS.
I'm sure one of the folks with a Digital and a PID will be by shortly with an answer.

3. Regarding the smoker itself, I seasoned it with 4 bisquettes (and I used my 3 Bubba pucks - they worked great). I did notice that the entire bisquette does not burn before it is pushed into the water bowl. If you are using a large amount of bisquettes, how often do you have to open up the door (and hence drop the temp significantly) to remove the burnt bisquettes from the bowl? The reason I ask is they seem to pile up near one side of the bowl and I can see this blocking future burnt bisquettes from being dumped in the bowl. Any suggestions?

I empty / refill the water bowl at least every four hours. I have had them pile up like that occasionally, I position the bowl a little more to the left.
The pucks do not burn all the way, this keeps the smoke from getting bitter.

Again, great website and I appreciate all the great advice on here! Thanks!  :)

You're welcome.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

tssgery

Here are my opinions (and I'm a noob)...

Quote from: FLBentRider on March 21, 2009, 07:39:05 AM
W E L C O M E  to the Forum RAK92!

You don't _need_ and PID, unless you require precise temperature control for smoking and some fish recipes.
I have turned out some really great pulled pork and other food without a PID.
Having a PID makes it more automated and more "set and forget"

I agree 100%. I bought a BBQ Guru and while I didn't *need* it... it makes it so I can "set and forget". I love the fact that it monitors the food temp and and the OBS temp for me while I enjoy a nice adult beverage and entertain the guests that show up on my doorstep when they smell the food cooking. ;)

Habanero Smoker

Hi RAK92;

Welcome to the forum.

As to the answer to question #2; you may have misread some information. The need for a longer cord is used when the cold smoke setup is used. This requires detaching the generator from the cabinet. If you have the digital you will need a longer cord to connect the sensors from the generator to the cabinet. I'm not sure what the 13 hours reference is to, but the digital has a maximum time of 9 hr 40 min.; and at that point will shut off if you don't reset the time at some point.
Cold Smoke Setup

Tighter temperature control is also important for sausage, and to some extent belly bacon.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RAK92

All,

Thanks for the great help and advice. Goin to smoke some pork tomorrow - will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again!
Bob