What's Smoking - Weekend of 3/21/09?

Started by Caneyscud, March 18, 2009, 08:12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

Been delinquent - but putting in extra hours to get some work so don't have to send anyone home.  But what do you have planned for this weekend.  I'm on the prowl for some mark-down corned beef.  Would like to make some pastrami - my Traeger dealer got some pastrami spice blend in and been wanting to try it.  If not, with all the talk about butts - vs - shoulders you would think I'd go with pork, but found some wild caught sockeye and I've been wanting to do kummock's salmon - might just get them out!  Don't want to do anything that will take up too much time, so I can finish our taxes.  The faster I do that the faster I get the refund back (if Barry doesn't freeze them), the faster I can buy a grinder and a stuffer, so the faster I can start making sausage!  Also kinda wanting a new trailer mounted stickburner.  Gonna go kick a couple of tires today at lunch.

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

BigFella

Here's my tentative plan:

Friday - Pork Shoulder and Pastrami
Saturday - Ribs and POSSIBLY some ABT's

Made two KILLER barbecue sauces (one I posted in recipes I've been kicking around using Cherry Dr. Pepper) and have some friends coming over for lunch on Saturday.

NePaSmoKer

Going to fill the air with blue smoke and briskit aroma at Florida State Caverns Park with my BPS  ;D

nepas

tssgery

well, i'm just starting with the smoker but thought I'd try a turkey breast.

Caneyscud

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on March 18, 2009, 10:36:31 AM
Going to fill the air with blue smoke and briskit aroma at Florida State Caverns Park with my BPS  ;D

nepas
Caverns in Florida????  I thought the whole state was SAND!  Be careful going into one of them sand caverns.  Used to make them in the big sandpiles down the street when I was but a wee lad and they.. well.. they collapse!!  Never could entice my sisters to go into them!!

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

viceman

i'm not sure what i'm going to smoke this weekend.  i've been reading some of the recipes and i want to try something different.
i think i might try a fatty and some muscles or oysters.    so many choices !

Up In Smoke

thinkin' i might do a meatloaf,
granny's recipe with a little kick ;)
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Ka Honu

No smoking this weekend - I'll be too busy hanging out on the Kaneohe Bay sand bar, introducing a very select group of friends to the cheddar & pepper jack that have been "resting" in the fridge since I cold-smoked them on March 2nd and the pastrami (from corned beef) that came off the smoker yesterday.  Life is good!

Smokin Soon

Get out that Camera, Ka Honu and show us your stuff! We would like to see some pics of your stuff!  ::)

Ka Honu

I'm planning on getting out the slicer on Friday - hopefully I'll be able to find the camera by then, too.

KyNola

Doing my first brisket this weekend.  The only other time I used a brisket was to make pastrami and I was disappointed in the results.  Nothing wrong with the recipe, I think I just didn't handle the entire process as well as I could have.  Looking forward to doing a brisket the WTS method(except for the devil's wood).

KyNola 

FLBentRider

KyNola,

I put Hickory on just about everything, BUT.... There was just something about beef and mesquite that was ... (I'm looking for the right metaphor here..) ... de-freakin'-licious.

LQ - Put the Tea Bag down and slowly back away!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

westexasmoker

Come to the dark side....don't be afraid!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

bullhead

I have some 2" thick fresh ham roasts in the fridge curing. going to smoke sunday or Monday.

IKnowWood

wts, I need to agree.  The Mesquite is the ONLY wood when it comes to beef, of any cut.   Pork is Pecan for me.  Poultry its Hickory, for me.  Bacon (unlike raw pork) is Maple, for me.  And nuts depends what I do...  Cheese I forgot, need to figure that out again been a few years.  ABT = whatever, its wild regardless the wood.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes