Ham Bags

Started by nascarbbq, March 20, 2009, 02:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nascarbbq

I think I might have screwed up I ordered some plastic ham bags from butcher & packer (100) can I put a pork roast in one and put it on the smoker are should I have got the cotton bags?

Habanero Smoker

Have you checked with them to see if you can do an exchange. You may have to pay for the return and reshipping postage, but it is better then having something you can't use.

I'm not sure about this product, there is no picture on the website, but the description sounds like it is some type of netting with the strips of plastic netting being wide and it could be used in smoking.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

nascarbbq

its Plastic that is what scares me it would melt I was going to smoke it at about 200

Tenpoint5

Thats what I was wondering Habs. If the "Ham Bags" are of the plastic netting style a pork roast should be fine in it. But if it is like an oven bag that you would cook a turkey in then I would see about exchanging them.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

nascarbbq

I think I will try it if nothing else I will give them to somebody on here for all the help

Habanero Smoker

I would follow up and send them an email to see what temperature they are safe at. I've never used Butcher and Packer, but I've heard they have great customer service. The bags could be made from the plastic that is used in roasting bags; or the bags may be just for cold smoking; temperature 100°F and below.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

nascarbbq

Thanks I will call them tomorrow

iceman

Quote from: nascarbbq on March 20, 2009, 02:22:58 PM
I think I will try it if nothing else I will give them to somebody on here for all the help

I think you should be alright using the bags. They mentioned cross hatching which is what happens when smoking at low temps leaving the chris cross lines on meat. Give it a shot nascarbbq and let us know but try to call them first if possible.

Smokin Soon

I'm with Ice on that one. If it capable of leaving a nice crosshatch as the websight claims it should be perfect for smoke temps.

NePaSmoKer

Same here with ice & SS

Use em they are cool. Your friends will ask how did you get your meat like that.

nepas

nascarbbq

I called and yes I can use them with a temp of 225. If anyone needs some I have 100 just send me a private message and I will be happy to send you some and thanks for all  the help

Oldman

Interesting thread...

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

KyNola

Hey Nascar,
Can you shoot a pic and let us what they look like?

KyNola

nascarbbq

hope this helps I'm sure I will wake up in the morning and the roast will be on the bottom

KyNola

I'm wondering if they would hold a pork loin in shape for canadian bacon as opposed to tying them with string.  Any thoughts guys?

KyNola