Propane clothes dryers

Started by Oldman, March 22, 2009, 06:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Our power company is going to a "smart grid." No choice for the home owner. Given the amount of clothes and Skyway's rugs we dry per week, the power company will be able to cut power to my dryer. (We average 24-30 loads per week.)

Anyone here have or had a propane clothes dryer? I would like your thoughts concern this type of dryer.

Thank you,
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

pensrock

I do not have a propane dryer but a natural gas dryer, which is the same thing but doesn't have the propane orfaces (sp?) in place to use propane. I have been using them for 20 years and love it, never had any problems. I have heard of people having dryer fires because they let lint build up in and under the dryer, but I clean mine a couple times per year and no problems. (I do clean the lint trap every load)  :D I only have 3-5 loads a week.

NePaSmoKer

Olds

We use a propane dryer, no hassles or problems. Its just like NG but has the LPG oraface in the workings. Gets  just as hot too.

nepas

carnie1

Just curious, Are you saying that the power co is not going to give you enough power to run your dryer? how can they do that unless the change your service from 220 to 110, let us know

Mr Walleye

Olds

Here in Canada NG dryers are more cost effective and they also dry a load faster. This makes them the best choice. I'm in the insurance business and both electric and gas dryers can cause a fire. Either one of them you want to follow the proper safety precautions such as making sure your vents are installed properly and clear/clean, and in addition you keep the lint traps clean after each use to ensure you don't over heat the unit.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smokin Soon

If "smart grid" is the same crap they are pushing in California, it means that they install a device on your meter that can totally shut you down in times of peak usage. They are offering many perks to get you to sign up for this. It's like putting your house on a system controlled by a computer. Not good at all in my estimation, and very prone to failures. Friends of mine have bought new homes in the Valley in NorCal
have had these devices fail in temps over 100 degrees, meaning that they have been shut down, but it just stays that way.

Oldman

Quote from: carnie1 on March 22, 2009, 08:13:18 AM
Just curious, Are you saying that the power co is not going to give you enough power to run your dryer? how can they do that unless the change your service from 220 to 110, let us know
I don't know. I only know what I read. It said they could cut off any item including your A/C unit. As I understand it the home owner will have no option. It is all transmitted via wireless to the main computer.

Thanks all for the replies concerning the gas dryer.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

lumpy

NG or propane is the way to go when it comes to drying clothes. I would not go any other way.
Ditto on what Mike said about cleaning the vent............it is very important!

Lump

Smokin Soon

Olds, if it is the same plan as California, they will just shut down the AC, nothing else unless you have a hot tub or a pool heater.