My first try at ground jerky...

Started by Wattles, March 22, 2009, 12:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wattles

used about 3.5 lbs of venison and 1.25 lb of lean beef.  Con Yeager sugar cure and hillbilly jerky seasoning.

i went to cabelas friday and this commercial 80L unit was 70 bucks off so i had to have it after reviewing several threads on here which seemed to all highly recommend this unit. 

i was going to cold smoke then dehydrate but i decided to try it just this way first,,,next batch ill cold smoke first.

thank you all for sharing your expertise on here.  im mostly a reader but will post when i make stuff.  any/all criticism and pointers welcomed!!!

my first question, and i might post this as its own thread,,,has anyone else who has this dehydrator noticed it takes over an hour to get up to heat??? 

Mr Walleye

I'm assuming you are referring to that with a load. I usually preheat the dehydrator to help with that. Anytime you put a whole bunch of cool meat surface in your going to take a bit to get back to temp.

By the way, you got a great buy!

Hey, nice lookin' dog in the first photo too!  ;) Chocolate Lab??? Looks like he's enjoying the sunshine!

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Wattles

LOL
overlooked the reflection in the pic...yea, choc lab, her name is Emma.  she is 11.  G R E A T dog.  overweight like her owner though!
her buddy, Haley is our Yellow lab and she is 13.  she spends most of her days sleeping.  ill try to get a pic of her up sometime.

thanks for the preheating advice.  i kinda figured my cold meat outa the fridge was the issue but with only a 5 lb load i didnt expect an hour warmup to 145*.

FLBentRider

Mine takes a while to come up to temp, but I figured it was due to the fact that the element was at the bottom and the sensor is near the top, so the food cools the air on the trip from the element to the sensor.

I have 2 pineapples in there now, I picked up another six at the store today. Only $2.99US each..
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Up In Smoke

wattles,
as mike said preheating is the way to go.
i have done some ground jerky and you will not be disappointed.
FLB, care to share a little info on the pineapples?
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

FLBentRider

Quote from: Up In Smoke on March 22, 2009, 02:47:56 PM
FLB, care to share a little info on the pineapples?

I just cut them up - consistent thickness pieces are a good thing - and put them in the dehydrator for about 24 hours @ 135-145F.

They come out all shriveled up, not like the candied kind at the store. To make the candied kind, you would cut it up the same, but boil them in sugar syrup for 45 minutes, then cool and dehydrate. I have not tried to make the candied kind, just read the recipes.

When I did the first batch about a month ago, pineapples were $4.99US each. for $2.99US each I can do a larger load.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Up In Smoke

thanks...gonna give that a try for sure!
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Wattles

only took 5 hours.
4 @ 145 and 1 @ 160.

the paper bags work great, thank NEPAS for that tip.

PS  i microwaved the paper bags for 1 minute first to kill anything that might be hiding in em

NePaSmoKer

Mr Walleye

Mmmmmm... Jerky... Looks great Wattles!  ;)

Now the problem... Will ya be able to make it faster then you can eat it!  :D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

FLBentRider

Quote from: Mr Walleye on March 22, 2009, 05:16:08 PM

I'm not sure that is possible. I would need a bigger kitchen and a bigger dehydrator!

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: FLBentRider on March 22, 2009, 05:50:36 PM
Quote from: Mr Walleye on March 22, 2009, 05:16:08 PM

I'm not sure that is possible. I would need a bigger kitchen and a bigger dehydrator!

I'm with you FLB not to mention a bigger truck to haul me around.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Wattles

now i just GOTTA make more!

so far im impressed with Con Yeager Hillbilly Jerky mix.  VERY good flavor.  a mildly spicy garlic ring bologna flavor if you will. 

next batch will get an hour of cold smoke then 4-5 hours in the dehydrator.

NePaSmoKer

Con Yeager does make good jerky and snack stick mix. Try the summer sausage mix too, Mallards has it with the casings for like $8 and some change.

nepas