• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

kielbasa making problem

Started by teet, March 23, 2009, 07:40:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teet

Hi
i just finished kielbasa sousage. Taste is very good but inside is little bit powdery. Can anybody tell me what is a reason?
thank you
here is a little info  update.Instead of butcher & packer meat binder i used same amount of dry milk (they told me to do so). I cooked it 1.5 hour 130 F after that 175 F and finally 215 (because it took so long to get ready) I did read from forum that it should take about 4 H to cook but by that time internal temp was way to low. Thats why i put 215 F ,but still took almost 10 H to be ready.
i have bradley digital 6
thank you

lumpy

What did you use as a binder and how much?

Lumpy

Mr Walleye

Hi Teet and welcome to the forum.

I think if you could post your recipe, types and percentages of meat/fat and your temps and times we should be able to narrow down some ideas for improving it.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

lumpy

Forget to welcome you to the forum! :o

There are many capable persons on this site to answer all of your question.

Lumpy

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Mr Walleye on March 23, 2009, 08:33:26 AM

Hi Teet and welcome to the forum.

I think if you could post your recipe, types and percentages of meat/fat and your temps and times we should be able to narrow down some ideas for improving it.

Mike

Like Mike said this information would help Greatly.  First guess without that information is you might of "Fatted it out" Got the temp to high and all the fat liquified and ran out of the casing. Leaving a dry crumbly interior.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

sherlock

10.5's reason makes sense. That's what I did on my first attempt. It was not powdery, just not juicy at all. Dry sausage just don't cut it. Your recipe will help the experts to assist you though.

Don't give up

;D

NePaSmoKer

With 10.5 on this. Too high a temp can fat-out your sausage leaving it more like over cooked ground beef. When i make sausage i never run the temp past 180* unless it's really cold outside in which you would have to bump the temp up.

nepas

teet

hi
here is a info little update.Instead of butcher & packer meat binder i used same amount of dry milk (they told me to do so). I cooked it 1.5 hour 130 F after that 175 F and finally 215 (because it took so long to get ready) I did read from forum that it should take about 4 H to cook but by that time internal temp was way to low. Thats why i put 215 F ,but still took almost 10 H to be ready
thank you

Tenpoint5

Quote from: teet on March 23, 2009, 07:33:37 PM
hi
here is a info little update.Instead of butcher & packer meat binder i used same amount of dry milk (they told me to do so). I cooked it 1.5 hour 130 F after that 175 F and finally 215 (because it took so long to get ready) I did read from forum that it should take about 4 H to cook but by that time internal temp was way to low. Thats why i put 215 F ,but still took almost 10 H to be ready
thank you

Teet,
The NFDM (Dry Milk) shouldn't make your sausage dry/powdery. With your temps up that High I'm guessing you fatted out your sausage. Just out of curiosity. Did you close your top vent to try and keep some of the heat in and make things move quicker? I'm guessing you did. Next time you try your recipe leave the vent 3/4 open or full open to let the moisture out. This will add aid in the sausage drying out a little but not fatting out on you. Should make things much better for you.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Mr Walleye

I agree with 10.5

The highest temp I run when doing sausage is 175. It's certainly not uncommon for a batch of sausage to take 7 to 10 hours to get to an IT of 152 degrees. You just have to be patient and wait for the sausage temp to come up. I would bet that the high temp of 215 caused the fat to render out.

The other thing you didn't mention was the fat content you started with.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Roadking

I agree with Mr. Walleye. Any smoked sausage the temp. shouldn't get above 170°. What ever it takes to get the IT to 152° it takes. 4 hours or 12 hours, don't try to rush it. when it gets to 152° get it out and get it cooled by hosing it off with water or put it in ice water, this will help to keep it from getting wrinkled. Like a few said I also think you over heated it.

Smokin Soon

Did you use any cold water when you mixed in the lowfat powder?

Roadking

Quote from: Smokin Soon on March 24, 2009, 04:04:31 PM
Did you use any cold water when you mixed in the lowfat powder?
What is low fat powder? Hope your not talking about fat replacer (RP Lean). Yuk! Might as well grind up cardboard and use that.

West Coast Sausage Maker

It could be your Dry Milk.   
1 cup of powdered milk is equivalent to 2 cups dry milk.
There is a difference.
soylent green is people

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: West Coast Sausage Maker on March 30, 2009, 09:07:23 PM
It could be your Dry Milk.   
1 cup of powdered milk is equivalent to 2 cups dry milk.
There is a difference.

You may have a point there. I generally will weigh powder milk rather then measure.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)