• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

kielbasa making problem

Started by teet, March 23, 2009, 07:40:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadking

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on March 31, 2009, 01:40:30 AM
Quote from: West Coast Sausage Maker on March 30, 2009, 09:07:23 PM
It could be your Dry Milk.   
1 cup of powdered milk is equivalent to 2 cups dry milk.
There is a difference.

You may have a point there. I generally will weigh powder milk rather then measure.
WCSM, what is the difference? Between dry and powdered.

If a recipe calls for 1 cup of water that is 8 ounces by volume but the actual weight is 8.345 ounces. Now a recipe calls for 1 cup of powdered milk that is by volume if you weigh out the cup of powdered milk (8 ounces) you will have more powdered milk that will not fit into the measuring cup.
When cooking you should measure using measuring cup, spoons, or pitchers not by weight unless the recipe specifically calls for by weight.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Roadking on March 31, 2009, 07:30:07 AM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on March 31, 2009, 01:40:30 AM
Quote from: West Coast Sausage Maker on March 30, 2009, 09:07:23 PM
It could be your Dry Milk.   
1 cup of powdered milk is equivalent to 2 cups dry milk.
There is a difference.

You may have a point there. I generally will weigh powder milk rather then measure.
WCSM, what is the difference? Between dry and powdered.

If a recipe calls for 1 cup of water that is 8 ounces by volume but the actual weight is 8.345 ounces. Now a recipe calls for 1 cup of powdered milk that is by volume if you weigh out the cup of powdered milk (8 ounces) you will have more powdered milk that will not fit into the measuring cup.
When cooking you should measure using measuring cup, spoons, or pitchers not by weight unless the recipe specifically calls for by weight.

Sorry if my post mislead or confused you. I'm not stating that powdered ingredients weight the same as they measure. As for powdered ingredients it is not a simple matter of changing volume to weight. You have to know the proper equivalents. Once you know how much powder milk weights, it a simple matter of weighing the proper amount of dry milk which has larger particles then powdered milk.

When baking I rarely will use the measured volume for dry ingredients that the recipe calls for, and will use their weight equivalent that is usually not included with most recipe, so again you need to know the equivalent conversion.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Thank Mike. I've seen that and have used it in the past. Kutas book also has a conversion table.

Here a conversion site that has most ingredients, but more accurate because it has a calculator.

Dry Ingredient Conversion

There is also conversion calculator on the USDA site, but I can't find my link to it right now.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Roadking

Quote from: Mr Walleye on March 31, 2009, 02:57:32 PM
Here is a link to a conversion chart I found on Allied Kenco's site.

http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/popup_text.php/fld/howto/tbl/howtos/key/33

Mike
That's a good chart

Habanero Smoker, No confusion for me though it could have been confusioning for some of the first timers. I've already made most of the mistakes I expect to make (At least I hope so  :-[ ). Although if you make a mistake and realize it you'll never make it again.

Mr Walleye

RoadKing

Your right. That's definitely one of the many things that makes this such a great place. Sharing information... good or not so good makes everybody's learning curve easier.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Roadking on March 31, 2009, 04:07:55 PM
Quote from: Mr Walleye on March 31, 2009, 02:57:32 PM
Here is a link to a conversion chart I found on Allied Kenco's site.

http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/popup_text.php/fld/howto/tbl/howtos/key/33

Mike
That's a good chart

Habanero Smoker, No confusion for me though it could have been confusioning for some of the first timers. I've already made most of the mistakes I expect to make (At least I hope so  :-[ ). Although if you make a mistake and realize it you'll never make it again.

Point taken.

Also it should be added, when measuring; one should use the proper measuring utensils. Don't use measuring cups made to measure liquid to measure dry ingredients and vise versa.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

teet

thanks everybody for advise. i made second time kielbasa and it is fantastic (my friends opinion). i used hunters binder instead of dry milk and lowered temperature. right now working on venison sausage project :)