cheese question

Started by Up In Smoke, March 25, 2009, 06:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Up In Smoke

just out of curiosity what brands of cheese are used for smoking?
the results i get from boars head products is amazing!
i only smoke my sharp cheddar for 15 minutes before vac sealing.
i have noticed that a lot of members smoke longer.
is this because of the type/brand of cheese or is it more personal taste?
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

KyNola

I use Cabot's but only because I can purchase it in 2 pound bricks at the local Sam's Club.  Much cheaper than buying the 4-6 ounce blocks at the grocery store.

As for smoke time, I run about 3 hours of smoke.  Just personal taste preference.

KyNola

manxman

Quoteor is it more personal taste?

More out of personnal taste for me, I have experimented between about 1 and 6 hours and have settled on around 4.5 hours for cheese.

I have also tried many types of cheeses but tend to do mainly sharp / mature cheddar now but whatever cheese I plan on smoking I always taste it first, smoking won't make a poor cheese any better IMHO!
Manxman

pensrock

I smoke till I get the color I'm looking for. I seem to get better results when I use a hot plate with wood chips than when I use the smoke generator. Not sure why but I like it better. It seems swiss takes the smoke much quicker than any other cheese I smoke, 2-3 hours. Xsharp cheddars and american style cheeses smoke for 4-6 hours. Typically 4 hours is good.

canadiansmoker

I have only smoked the medium and old cheddar cheese so far. The amount of smoke would definitely be an individual thing. I did some at 2 hours and some at 3 since it was the first time. They both turned out great. Fairly strong smoke flavor in both batches. next time I will probably do some for only 1.5 hours as my better half would like the smoke to be a little more subtle.

I know of a few people on here that have done them for 4-5 hours. I couldn't imagine how smoky that would be, but to each his/her own :)

canadiansmoker

Quote from: Up In Smoke on March 26, 2009, 03:51:48 PM
canadiansmoker,
try a sharp cheddar at 15 to 20 mintes, vac seal it for 7 days and give it a shot.
to me it gives you a lite smoke flavor and lets you enjoy the flavor of the cheese.

Thanks, I'll have to give it a try. I don't mind the stronger smoke flavor myself, but I still want to be able to taste the cheese.

I think I have gotten a handle on some 6 year old cheddar I'll try as well.

La Quinta

Although...I am absolutely no expert on smoking cheeses...I really prefer any "soft" cheese smoked...I've done Monterey Jack, pepper Cheese, chedder, colby, colby jack....I usually go 2 hours and find that just nice...

Mr Walleye

LQ... are you talking soft cheese... or soup???

Sorry... I know, I know you have the new cold smokin' box... but I couldn't resist.  :D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

La Quinta

Ok Fishman...I can rev up the teabags at any moment.....I can put you into a trance and you'd do whatever I say...don't make me do it...you're a nice man....  ;D

Mr Walleye

:o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o

Not the tea bags!!!  I promise... I'll be good!  ;)  :D

Mike

La Quinta

I thought as much....  :D  :D  :D

Mr Walleye

I was just..... Fishin' LQ!

:D  :D  ;D

Mike

pensrock

now its my turn to join sparky drinking at a distance.  ;D

La Quinta

Yup...and I bit...my bad!!! But...none the less...I control the power of the teabag....cheese is a sacred thing here....  ;D

seemore

Sorry to be a latecomer to the discussion, and I still don't know what the HECK you mean by the whole teabag reference - this is Mrs.  I'm a little slow, so bear with me - but we have smoked a variety of cheeses:  the usual Swiss, gouda, cheddar, pepperjack, etc.  We have also picked up some processed cheeses and given them a light smoke:  garlic cheese, horseradish cheese, herb cheese...they've have all been wonderful.
When it has been REALLY cold outside, we have smoked Velveeta.  Smoked Velveeta is really good in macaroni and cheese.  We have also smoked the Mexican Velveeta and used that with Rotel tomatoes to make a good cheese dip.