Slim Jims

Started by NePaSmoKer, March 30, 2009, 02:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

I found some 17mm collagen casings in Atlanta. Going to make some beef slim jimmys this week. I will post my normal pics.

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Here I got some all beef slim jims going today. I am stuffing into 17mm collagen casings.

Here I have my mix and cure added to 5 oz of distilled water.

I am going to smoke these in a different way this time.

Going a different smoking today. Traeger smoke with pecan  ;D  IT of the Traeger is around 175-180* This pic was taken at the 1 hour 15 min into the smoke. IT of the slim jms are 108*

nepas

Mr Walleye

NePas

They look great as usual!  8)

... and... I'm at work as usual!  ::)

I think I can smell them!  :'(

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

lumpy

Hi NePas
Can you tell me why the Jims were laid down as opposed to hung? The last few batches of sausage that I've smoked were all hung from dowels.

Do you have to rotate the slim Jims during smoke/

Lumpy

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: lumpy on April 01, 2009, 12:04:10 PM
Hi NePas
Can you tell me why the Jims were laid down as opposed to hung? The last few batches of sausage that I've smoked were all hung from dowels.

Do you have to rotate the slim Jims during smoke/

Lumpy

They wont hang in the Traeger so i cut them to length and put them on the racks. i usually hang them when in the Bradley. No nd to rotate as they all smoke evenly. See my other post on snack sticks and you can see them hanging.

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Got em cooled own with a cold water rinse  ;D now sitting to room temp.

nepas

lumpy

Thanks for the info Nepas. I will continue to hang mine.

Lumpy

NePaSmoKer

Got em all cut up and ready for bagging. The 17m casings made the finished slim jims 1/2" diameter.

Up close  ;D

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: lumpy on April 01, 2009, 12:26:50 PM
Thanks for the info Nepas. I will continue to hang mine.

Lumpy

Anytime lumpy

When i hang mine in my Bradley i use Satinless Steel bell shaped sausage sticks. This way the steel gets hot and helps cook the sausage hanging over it. I found dowels dont get hot enough to do this.

nepas

lumpy

I'm still learning the "touch" when it comes to stuffing. I stuffed 5 LBS of beef (Rytek beef sticks) 2 days ago and I tend to not stuff the casings (21mm) to much. Don't want it to break.
Anyways,  some of my casing are not fully stuffed they tend to get a little thin near the top after hanging in the smoker for several hours.

Over time, I will get the "touch" ;D

Lumpy

BigFella

NEPA I'll be looking for a "sample" of these in my mailbox soon! :)

smokeitall

Nepas,

Those look great as usual.

My order from Butcher Packer is out for delivery right now and I will start my sausage this weekend.  Going to make some pepperoni sticks, Rytek style, with some variations.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: smokeitall on April 01, 2009, 02:33:02 PM
Nepas,

Those look great as usual.

My order from Butcher Packer is out for delivery right now and I will start my sausage this weekend.  Going to make some pepperoni sticks, Rytek style, with some variations.

Have you ever tried psseasonings spice? its pretty good.

I dont use Rytek's book, many members do though.

nepas

smokeitall

I have never tried psseasonings.  I just took a look at what they have to order and I will probably place an order here in a couple weeks...thanks for the heads up.

What I am trying to accomplish is a pepperoni stick that is sort a typical pepperoni taste but with more of a tang, and more like a snack stick when eating, with a little smoky flavoring.  If that makes sense.  There is a store in Northern WI that sells them and I want to make something similar since I can't make it up there to purchase them.  So if you have any recipes that you think would come close please share. :)

Smoke

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: smokeitall on April 01, 2009, 06:17:29 PM
I have never tried psseasonings.  I just took a look at what they have to order and I will probably place an order here in a couple weeks...thanks for the heads up.

What I am trying to accomplish is a pepperoni stick that is sort a typical pepperoni taste but with more of a tang, and more like a snack stick when eating, with a little smoky flavoring.  If that makes sense.  There is a store in Northern WI that sells them and I want to make something similar since I can't make it up there to purchase them.  So if you have any recipes that you think would come close please share. :)

Smoke

If you want a little more Tang you need to add some more powdered dextrose or encapsulated citric acid. I f you use the citric acid you have to mix it in by hand, don't put it thru the grinder.

nepas