• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Bulk spices near New Orleans?

Started by Ka Honu, March 31, 2009, 06:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ka Honu

Anybody (you there KyNola?) know of a decent place to buy bulk spices (like whole coriander) in the New Orleans area?  Not much available here and was hoping to do some stocking up on my trip to JazzFest.  Extra points if it's somewhere near Reserve, La Place, or Gramercy (since I'm going there for andouille and Zapp's chips).

Mahalo plenty (or Merci beaucoup if you prefer).

Tenpoint5

Ka Honu,

I get my spices from Targil Spices which is about 40 miles west of Baton Rouge in Opelousa. There website is www.Targil.com
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Ka Honu

10.5 - Better get your odometer checked.  Opelousas is more like 75 miles from Baton Rouge (and 150 from New Orleans).  If I were going have a free (non-JazzFest) weekend I'd go to a Saturday Cajun jam at Savoy's in Eunice or Fred's in Mamou and be able to hit Opelousas on the way but it ain't happening this trip.

On the upside, I guess I now have an indisputable reason to plan another trip later in the year - music and spices all at the same time.  Maybe for the Mamou Cajun Festival in September?  Yeah, that's the ticket!  Now all I have to do is convince SWMBO.

Tenpoint5

Hey give a guy a break, It was a quick glance at a google map when I guessed at the distance. They will ship to you and they have some great customer service. Give them a call.

Quote from: Ka Honu on March 31, 2009, 07:29:28 PM
  Now all I have to do is convince SWMBO.
Might be easier to make the long drive this time around.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Ka Honu

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on March 31, 2009, 07:42:34 PMMight be easier to make the long drive this time around.

Possibly true - she's a great lady but I'm not sure how she'd react to spending a week of her vacation time "out in the parishes" listening to Cajun music and eating what she refers to as "swamp food."  Of course I could go by myself but that's often prohibitively expensive - a substantial Jewelry purchase is usually required.

Tenpoint5

Momma's not into Mudbugs and Gater? I would say give Targil a call.

Ka Honu

I checked their web site - no coriander, but they have some other stuff I'll probably get to eventually.

Tenpoint5

Give them a call because I know I have purchased ground coriander from them.

KyNola

Ka Honu,
I'm sorry my friend but I can't help you on that particular question about NOLA.  However, if you need to know where to go eat good crawfish and oysters and where to find Coors Light in the French Quarter, I'm your guy! :D

KyNola

Ka Honu

Ky -

Thanks but I can answer those questions myself (although why anyone would want to find Coors Light anywhere is beyond me).

KyNola

Thought you probably already knew the answer to those questions. ;)

KyNola

KyNola

Ka Honu,
Checked the yellow pages and found one place in Kenner that sells bulk but I'm afraid it may just be cajun spices in bulk.  Name of the place is a "A Spicy World Co."  Address is 2423 Bainbridge St, Kenner LA.  Phone number is 504.466.1150.

There were some others listed but didn't sound like they were all about bulk.

KyNola

Up In Smoke

KyNola,
coors light, the silver bullet....great flavor, fewer werewolfs!
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Ka Honu

KyNola - Thanks, I'll give them a call.  Pretty convenient to the airport, too (that's a plus).

KyNola

Ka Honu,
Regardless, the oysters are fat and juicy.  Probably the best I've had in years.  If you're a jazz fan, don't miss the new jazz club at the Royal Sonesta Hotel, 300 Bourbon Street. 

Crawfish are plentiful.  Wish I would be there with you.  We could do some damage.

KyNola

PS I'm expecting updates when you are there!