• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pulled Pork

Started by lumpy, April 03, 2009, 06:44:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumpy

Just thought I'd share some information with all of you since with out your information, I would not have the current knowledge that I do:

I smoked 4 pork roasts a few nights ago. 2 were boneless and 2 were with bone. All 4 weighed about 6-8 LBs. The cost difference between the bone in and out was .80 per LB.
I injected my roasts with apple juice and they sat rubbed in the fridge for 24 hours. The 4 roasts were a little tough on the smoker temp a first, even with my PID. Next time i will preheat at least one hour and let the roasts hit room temperature. It took the BDS 5 hours to hit my set temp of 210F.

Set up my Maverick and went to bed. Woke up 2 hours later. (Don't know about you guys but when I'm smoking all night I'm on condition orange!) Checked my Mav for temp and had 3 bars across the readout >:(. (Called Maverick the next day and I have to send it back for repair or replacement). Used my old back-up which has been working for years. Went back to bed for another hour, checked the BDS and E was flashing across the smoker display. I had a puck jammed. Fixed it and off to bed again. I pulled the roasts out of the smoker at 4 AM, wrapped in foil and put them in the oven at 220F.
Finally at 9AM they hit 175F. I FTC's them and went to work. At the office I was reading about pulled pork on the forum (my company, I do what I want LOL!) and alot of smokers recommended that the pork hit and IT of 195F for a good pull factor. Let me tell you, I thought I had ****ed up the roasts.

At 6 PM when I unwrapped the roasts (IT still 90F) and started pulling, I thought I had hit the jackpot. These were the nicest pork roasts I had seen in my life ;D and they fell apart never mind pulling. There was no difference between the bone in and boneless. I used a combination of apple and hickory pucks. I would have posted pictures but my laptop fried 2 days ago >:(, bad week for electronics! Sun bursts maybe :D

Tonight I'm doing a 12LB brisket..that might be another story.

Thanks for all the help Guys!

Wildcat

Congrats!  Keep plugging away.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Mr Walleye

Atta boy Lumpy!

Too bad about the problems but the bottom line is... The Taste!  ;)

Oh ya... ya did taste it didn't you???  :D

Keep us posted on the brisket.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tenpoint5

Great job Lumpy!! I'm with Walleye "HOW DID IT TASTE?"  Was the taste test on a plate with sauce? On a bun with sauce? On a bun with with some slaw? The pieces you stuffed in your mug when pulling don't count either!!! They always taste great!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Mr Walleye

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on April 03, 2009, 12:57:32 PM
The pieces you stuffed in your mug when pulling don't count either!!! They always taste great!

You must have been watching me in the past 10.5!  :D  ;D

Can't talk.... mouth full!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

lumpy

Sorry about not letting you know about the taste guys, my mouth was full ;D

Check out my post on meat under "boys weekend" and you cansee the pulled pork buns with my own sauce and slaw.

Don't mind saying so but the taste was worthy of win at a BBQ contest. It was the best I've ever tasted!

Lumpy