• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Looking to buy new smoker...which one?

Started by kawika, April 04, 2009, 05:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kawika

I have had various smokers over the years and my current one is a propane device from Walmart.  I can't really cold-smoke...the lowest setting gets the smoker up to about 165 degrees.  No thermostat.  I am considering the Bradley digital 6 rack.  One of the problems I have is I live in Hawaii.(Poor me)  The ambient temperature usually hovers around 75-85.  Theres a lot of wind, etc... Is the digital unit better at setting and maintaining a constant temp of say 110 to 140 degrees? From what I can tell the Bradley older version doesn't really have a thermostat.  Do I need to buy the digital unit to solve my problems?  Any help would be appreciated.
Kawika 

Ka Honu

I've had pretty good luck (on Oahu) cold-smoking cheese and meat with the OBS by doing it in the shade on a relatively cool day (low 70s) and placing a bowl of ice in the box.  Also, make sure you unplug the main heating element (instead of just turning it off).  In those conditions it seems to keep the box temp in the 80-90o range.

From what I've read around here, most of the "old pros" (I'm old, but no pro) seem to recommend an OBS with a PID rather than the DBS.  I'm sure someone will weigh in on that fairly quickly.

kawika

OBS, PID, DBS?  I'm sorry...I am apparently really old.   What do these things mean?
Kawika

Wildcat

OBS and DBS - Both are Bradley Smokers.  The first one is the original and the other is digital.

PID  is essentially an electronic gadget that can be connected to either model to keep a tighter control of the heating element (usually within +/- 1 degree F.

I have the Original Bradley Smoker in Stainless Steel with a PID.  Works wonderful.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Ka Honu

Quote from: kawika on April 04, 2009, 05:26:31 PMOBS, PID, DBS?  I'm sorry...  What do these things mean?

My bad! There's a glossary thread with some of the terms & abbreviations you'll see on the forum here.

Habanero Smoker

Hi kawika;

Welcome to the forum. I believe you make the third Hawaiian on the forum.

You may also want to check out these threads on the recipe site.

What do all these acronyms mean?

Bradley Smoker FAQ's

Recipes

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Gizmo

Welcome kawika.
In addition to what the others have mentioned here on the two different Bradley smoker types, either of which will work well, you can also purchase a cold smoke box or make one yourself with a cardboard box and aluminum dryer hose.  It allows the smoke generator to be removed from the oven unit and the heat generated to smoke the wood, won't heat the oven unit.

Looks like we need a tropical smoke out and have the whole Bradley family come out for a union.  I would call it a reunion but that would mean we have all been together at least once before.   ;)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Caneyscud

Kawika,

Welcome to the board. 

My 2 cents worth

The smoker you buy, for value, could or should be selected in accordance to what you will be doing. 

If all you will be doing is butts, shoulders, brisket or cold smoking - then all that is needed is the Original.  Those cuts of meat are forgiving, and temperature swings or temps not on the button are not a problem.  Cold smoking, you don't typically use the heating element anyway.

If you will do a lot of things like ribs, chicken, roasts, fish - You might consider a digital.  These things like a more tight control of temp and the digital can do it well.  You will have a swing in temps, especially early in the smoke, but the swing decreases as the smoke goes along and the meat IT approaches the cabinet temperature. 

There are a few things like sausage and fish, that need a tighter temperature control, and that is where the PID excels.  Or you might just want to control the temperature better, ramping the temperature up, etc... Again the PID sounds like da bomb. 

Best of both worlds is the Digital with a PID.  More control on the time of smoke with the smoke generator timer, some other niceties such as stainless steel interior, no circuit board on the bottom of the smoker to worry about, and no leg problems.

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"