• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

PID which one??

Started by kawika, April 05, 2009, 10:32:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kawika

I plan on cold smoking.  I realize I have to install a PID to achieve tight tolerances as far as temperatures go, very critical.  Please suggest where I can go to get the best programmable PID.  I don't want to waste my time getting one that doesn't do what I want it to do.  Your prompt response will be appreciated as I ordered my D Bradley minutes age and want to order a PID NOW!  Aloha and Mahalo,  Kawika

nickld

pensrock

I built my own using parts salvaged from old industrial furnaces that I work on. But from what I have read on hear, I would also lean tward the Auber products.

Mr Walleye

Yup!

For the money I don't think you can beat the Auber and they do have good customer service. I have 2 Aubers that I built prior to them introducing the plug & play models. Nick has ya pointed in the right direction. There's lot's of members with that unit here on the forum.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

FLBentRider

I'm not sure why you need a PID for cold smoking. Cold smoking, unless it is REALLY COLD where you live, will be done with the tower heater off. The PID will not get used.

That said, I have the auber programmable PID and I am very happy with it. I use the programmable features for pre-heats and salmon, and someday sausage.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

NePaSmoKer

I built one, didnt really like it. Bought a Raptor/Guru worked good for me then i bought the Plug N Play programmable PID. Works fantastic.

nepas

Smokin Soon

Kawika, for the cold smoke, the pid is not even  involved. I did the thing with a cardboard box and dryer hose and was not really thrilled with the results or the whole look of the mess. A little bit ghetto in my opinion only. The Bradley cold smoke setup delivers as promised. Get one from here:

http://www.yardandpool.com/Bradley-Smoker-Cold-Smoke-Adapter-p/bcold.htm

I have done some cold smokes that have surpassed anything I have done in the past. Steaks and Chops cold smoked, wrapped in plastic in the fridge overnight and then grilled the next will make you a hero!

Habanero Smoker

I often use my DigiQ II for cold smoking. There are several cases in which the temperature is critical; such as when I need to hold sausage at 80°F for several hours to allow fermentation to occur, or when I am making triple smoke bacon, which you need to keep the temperature between 70°F - 90°F. So at times it comes in handy for cold smoking.

I now have the Bradley cold smoke setup, but still find that on occasion I will have to use this type of [=http://www.foodsmoker.co.uk/equipment/bradleycold.htm]Cold Smoke Setup[/url]. I sometimes use a hot plate to smoke with other types of woods, and my current hot plate won't fit in the Bradley cold smoke setup. It may not look high class, but it performs the task at 100%. :)

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

viceman

I'm in the process of building my own.

i do building automation and hvac controls for a living.

I'm using honeywell controls and a web server.

when i'm done i am planning to put up a web site that will display live data.

that way i can impress everybody with my genius  ;D

it is definitely cheaper to buy the stuff from the places that have already been mentioned.

I'll literally have over a thousand dollars in parts into this.  I just happen to have a bunch of stuff leftover from jobs.

I'm afraid this smoker is turning into a obsession :-[

smokeitall

Hey Viceman I'm in the same boat.  I have a touch screen and PLC with a 2 channel thermocouple.  I have an enclosure with everything mounted on a din rail and the touch screen mounted in the box.  Didn't think of hooking up a webserver to mine, hmmm maybe our smokers could be online buddies  ;D

Yeah some would say its an obsession  :D

viceman

touchscreen ?  i'm jelous.   may need to order a "extra" on the next job

Up In Smoke

i don't know what all of that stuff means but at the rate y'all are moving you will be controlling
your smokers from the office with cell phones/blackberries/i phones.
could you incorporate a battery backup in case the power fails during a smoke?
or maybe have an auto generator to kick on to save your butts?  :o :o :D
SORRY i don't now why but i thought that was kinda funny. ::)
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

smokeitall

Hey if I could check on the smoker from my cell phone on long smokes that would be great.  Theres nothing like leaving to go to the store and thinking man I hope I didn't blow a circuit breaker or something.....

Yeah the auto start generator sounds good too.... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Gizmo

Quote from: smokeitall on April 06, 2009, 08:03:51 PM
Hey if I could check on the smoker from my cell phone on long smokes that would be great. 

Isn't that a phone call to better half?
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Caneyscud

or you could buy the CyberQ II from BBQ Guru when the get released.

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"