Question about how the generator works

Started by Toddler, April 07, 2009, 04:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toddler

I've been thinking about how to mod my offset vertical wood smoker for years.  Last summer, I experimented (with great success) by using a propane burner from a turkey fryer as my heat source, and a foil-covered stainless steel pan full of apple wood chunks for my smoke.  It lasted a couple of hours before having to reload the wood, which was pretty decent.  Now I'm looking for the ultimate convenience, which (naturally) brings me here.

As I understand it, the Bradley smokers have a heating element on the bottom and another element in the smoke generator.  After 20 mins, the generator advances a new puck, which pushes the old puck into a water bowl to extinguish it.  Does the add-on generator work the same way?  Am I supposed to mount it over a water bowl?  I assume so, but I just want to make sure.  I'm not using a water bowl at present, so that will present a small challenge.

Also, how does this unit differ from just buying a replacement generator?  This costs $170 vs. $80 for a replacement part.  What comes with this that makes it different from just a replacement generator?

Smokin Soon

It has the adaptor plate, and tube for any custom install, such as yours. Hope this helps.

aces-n-eights

Yes, you should plan to install the smoke generator over a water bowl.

Quote from: Toddler on April 07, 2009, 04:00:59 PM

Also, how does this unit differ from just buying a replacement generator?  This costs $170 vs. $80 for a replacement part.  What comes with this that makes it different from just a replacement generator?

Good question!  Can't help you with that one, but i'm sure someone will be along shortly to set you straight.
US Army, retired, x2
Soldotna Alaska
"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
Psalm 109:8

Mr Walleye

Hi Toddler and welcome to the forum.

Here is a link to the smoker I built. There is nothing wrong with using a replacement generator, that's what I did. Just make sure when you order it that you get the puck tube with it. You can also purchase the adaptor plate separately which is also what I did in this build.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=7616.msg82164#msg82164

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes