• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

A hex upon ya'll

Started by Caneyscud, April 08, 2009, 09:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

Because of all the great looks pics lately of sausage, summer sausage, snakstiks, venison sausage, kielbasa, beer sausage, pickled sausage, etc.... AND the post about the grinders being on sale, I finally pulled the plug on a grinder and vertical stuffer.  Got tired of waiting to find one at the Goodwill.  Now to find the rest of the stuff to make some central Texas hot sausage.  Anybody make the recipe (Texas Smokey Spiced Links) found in Kirk's book where he claims to have gotten the recipe for Krause's sausage!  I guess I am hopelessly addicted now rather than just addicted.

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

smokeitall

Welcome to the addiction, now you just have to make about 500 lbs of sausage to make up the difference between store bought and making your own before you start saving money after your investment.  Gotta love it. :D

Caneyscud

Quote from: smokeitall on April 08, 2009, 10:04:41 AM
Welcome to the addiction, now you just have to make about 500 lbs of sausage to make up the difference between store bought and making your own before you start saving money after your investment. 

Yeah, got that t-shirt more than once and in the multiple XL sizes.  For my fly fishing addiction, I tie my own flies most of the time.  For fun, I work part time at a fly shop on Saturdays sometimes and I can get a great discount, but even without a discount, I can buy most flies I use in the $1 to 3$ range.  However with the amount of feathers, exotics, tools, furs, thread, etc.....I've bought over the last 2 decades (call me a collector) my flies are probably still costing me $100 ea - prorated of course.

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire

Tenpoint5

Caney,
I have heard of that sausage and recipe but I have never seen it in writing. If you find it remember to share. Here's a link to one that I am going to try this weekend. It should satisfy you to you find the other one.

Fresh Hot Sausage
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

sodak

Caney,

You got it all wrong.  The flies are not $100 each.  Your first one is probably worth a couple thousand dollars...the rest are free.

Just like the fishin' boat, motor, trolling motor, tackle, rods, reels, gas, insurance, etc...  The first Walleye is incredibly expensive.  The rest are free.  Just another way of putting a spin on the investment...mostly to please corporate, er, I mean my spouse.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: sodak on April 08, 2009, 02:25:39 PM
Caney,

You got it all wrong.  The flies are not $100 each.  Your first one is probably worth a couple thousand dollars...the rest are free.

Just like the fishin' boat, motor, trolling motor, tackle, rods, reels, gas, insurance, etc...  The first Walleye is incredibly expensive.  The rest are free.  Just another way of putting a spin on the investment...mostly to please corporate, er, I mean my spouse.

Sodak

I'm really liking how you think!  ;)  :D  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Tenpoint5

Sodak does have a point!!

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

seemore

Caney, let us know how the sausage turns out!
seemore

La Quinta

Dang Caney...a "Hex"...dude the teabag is gonna be swingin your way...good luck to ya...you are messing with the Pekoe tea....Lipton is gonna be pissed off at you (they're a big company ya know!!! :D)  ;D (Are they getting bailout money?)  ;D

Caneyscud

Quote from: sodak on April 08, 2009, 02:25:39 PM
Caney,

Danged, sodak, now I feel real bad about losing that first fly.  I wish I had it back now.  I could trade it for a brand new big competition smoker that I've been eying.   :'(

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire

Caneyscud

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on April 08, 2009, 01:14:59 PM
Caney,
I have heard of that sausage and recipe but I have never seen it in writing. If you find it remember to share. Here's a link to one that I am going to try this weekend. It should satisfy you to you find the other one.

Fresh Hot Sausage

Saw a reference to Boudin de maiz.  Ever heard of that?

I saw the fresh hot sausage recipe on Poli's site.  I'd be real interested on how it turns out.  The one that I am eyeing is this one.

Texas Smoked Spicy Links

1 T ground coriander
1 T ground cumin
1 T granulated garlic
1 T seasoned salt
1 T freshly ground black pepper (coarse)
2 t crushed red pepper
1 t ground allspice
1/2 t ground clove
3# boneless boston butt trimmed of excess fat
2# beef chuck
1/2c ice water
5' of 38 to 42mm hog casings

Roadking

Caney, Once you make your own sausage you'll never buy from a super market again. The quality will be alot better and you know what's going into it. You did yourself good. Have fun doing it.
The ones I make alot of are Italian (sweet & hot), Kielbasa (fresh & smoked), brown and serve breakfast, Bratwurst, and Franks. Usually 20 pound batches of each once a year.

westexasmoker

Dang this hex thing must be working, or its that dang teabag!   ;D  Went to Gander Mtn.  for my first time and meat grinder/sausage stuffers galore....working on the money to get one SOON!  The only downside is the better half is not a sausage fan, oh well more for me!   ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: westexasmoker on April 09, 2009, 05:10:48 PM
Dang this hex thing must be working, or its that dang teabag!   ;D  Went to Gander Mtn.  for my first time and meat grinder/sausage stuffers galore....working on the money to get one SOON!  The only downside is the better half is not a sausage fan, oh well more for me!   ;D

C

Oh but she will be!! She probably didn't like Brisket when she married you either!!

Smokin Soon

WTS, there is a sausage out there for anyone that eats! Is is the links she does not like, then make Patty's. There are so many options. The really cool thing is you can take any of the Len Poli recipes or the ones from Rytek's book and put them into one of those recipe conversion programs and make yourself a 3 lb batch for a nice sample. Some learning curves on the stuffing part for me, but I have fun with it. Especially when I have a bunch of boneless butts at 99 cents a pound! It is a rewarding chore that I really enjoy!