• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoked Kielbasa question

Started by janzy, April 08, 2009, 07:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

janzy

I made a batch yesterday and they were in my 4 rack digital for around 9 hours. The results were very good.
So, today I put another batch in to smoke and they have been in there for 11 hours and seem to be stuck on 135 degrees internal.
The smoker is set for 170 degrees.
Am I doing something wrong here, should I pull them now or wait for the 152 degree internal temp?

Tenpoint5

My Suggestion would be to "Go to the Fridge and get a cold refreshing beverage to tide you over WHILE YOU WAIT for the temp to come up"

There are too many variables to consider. Did you wait for the Snausage to come up to room temp today, What is the ambient temp today, Is the wind blowing more today? The only other thing I could suggest is to put it in the oven but you are going to still have to WAIT for it to come up to temp. Your Kielbasa seems to have hit a plateau just like when doing a pork butt. There just isn't anything you can do until the meat is ready to start climbing in temp. That is my $.02
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Mr Walleye

Hi Janzy and welcome to the forum.

Ya can't go wrong with Kielbasa!  ;)

I would leave it in until you reach the 152 degrees regardless of how long it takes. To try and figure it out I have a couple of questions for you...

Were both batches the same size?

Was your temp setting on the DBS the same for both loads?

Are you monitoring the temp inside the smoker with something besides the DBS's own temp reading?

Were your outside temps and vent management similar?

Are you confident in the temp gauge you are using to read the IT?

11 hours does seem like a long time considering your IT is only at 135.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

janzy

This is a larger batch.
Temp setting were the same, but today is a little bit colder and I'm using a Thermapen to check the IT.
So, I guess I'll wait it out.
Thanks guys.

Mr Walleye

How much of a larger load?

You could try bumping the tower temp to 175. I will fairly often bump the tower up to 175 degrees. I have tried to sneak it up to 180 but in my opinion it usually toughen the casings in my opinion.

Keep us posted

Mike

janzy

Well,
I bumped the temp up to 180 and pulled the sausages around 3:30 am.
It's a good thing I'm retired and have no life!!
I was afraid things were going to be dry, but they turned out pretty good.
Thanks again for your input.

lumpy

Grab yourself a 6 pack and wait until the IT hits 152. Don't even think about pulling them out until them.

The wait is worth is. Compare every thing from the last smoke to this one and you will probably see why you are having to wait longer.

Lumpy

Tenpoint5

Quote from: janzy on April 09, 2009, 05:20:38 AM
Well,
I bumped the temp up to 180 and pulled the sausages around 3:30 am.
It's a good thing I'm retired and have no life!!
I was afraid things were going to be dry, but they turned out pretty good.
Thanks again for your input.

Janzy,

You could always send some to Mike and myself for proper analysis and feedback.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Mr Walleye

I couldn't agree more 10.5!  :D  ;D

Mike

drano

janzy
The amount of sausage will make the time be quite different.  I keep a log of all my smokes (what smoked, flavor & number of pucks, temp, winds, temp profile and total time), so I have an idea what to expect on future smokes. 
When I smoke summer sausage, the batch makes five 3 lb sticks.  I smoke 3 on one day, and 2 the next day because all 5 would take way too long. 
I have an Auber PID, and run the temp at 175, and maybe 180 if I'm getting impatient. 
Those Thermopens are great! 
get smokin
drano