Am considering a new 6 rack digital smoker have questions...need guidance

Started by twitulsk, April 09, 2009, 07:47:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twitulsk

I have read a lot of comments about the Bradley Smoker, and it sounds great.  I understand that the customer service is also great.  I have to admit that I am concerned.  I have heard of Bradley replacing the digital units under warranty. 

What if I get past the inital 12 months and have to bear the cost myself ?  Does anyone know what to expect dollar wise ??

Also I have heard that the unit is sensitive to moisture.  It is not uncommon for me to be useing my current charcoal smoker, and encounter sprinkling/light rain. 

Does anyone ever use theirs in the garage with the door open, maybe a fan on to get smoke to exit in a rainy situation ?? 

Is there a way to protect the digital unit from moisture/rain ?? 

Obviously I know the dangers of electricity and water.  Just looking for input and ideas. 

Thank you for your time,

Todd

Tenpoint5

Todd,
Welcome Aboard!!

I have a BDS4. Mine is on top of a rolling tool box bottom in the garage. I have the Plastic cover that Bradley offers for the smoker. When I use mine I wheel it over closer to the door or in the driveway. It has gotten light rain blown onto it without any ill effects. Generally I do use mine in the garage with the main garage open.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

smokeitall

Just don't get the pucks wet....gets nasty

I have smoked in the rain once....won't do that again.  It was with an OBS, BDS would be different, but I was getting a shock every time I adjusted the temp slider.  Dried it, cleaned the wood goup out of the puck advance, and fired it back up with no problems or ill effects.

lumpy

I own a 4 rack BDS and have for 2 years now. I love it and never had a problem. The only thing that I do is take the smoke generator apart 2x a year to clean all the wood and soot out of it.

My smoker is always outside and on my deck. If it rains, I have an awning. I live in Ontario where we have 3 months of summer and the rest not!

Lumpy

DrtiBird

Todd,
I haven't had my BDS6 but about 6 months and have really enjoyed it especially with all the great recipes these guys have.  As of yet I haven't really loaded it up, generally only use two racks, but do enjoy the ability to expand!  ;D

My BDS is setup in the garage with a small window fan for the exhaust.  The only precaution I took was to install a surge protector (same as computer protector) since it is digital.  My guess is that the digital stuff may be a little more sensitive to power surges.  The BDS is sitting on a 4ft  folding table.

Ron/DrtiBird
Gainesville, GA

Gizmo

I have a digital and have had it start to rain or a little drizzle with no problem.  Don't recommend it mind you.  I also have a cover but it has been a permanent fixture outside for almost 3 years.  No repairs have been needed, just standard cleaning as mentioned before.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/