• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

optimal temp for ftc?

Started by Toker, April 25, 2009, 06:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toker

Hi guys, i have a question about ftc so if someone knows...i never really ftc my food at least, never the right way, never put it in a cooler before didn't have one before and i heard that before putting food in the cooler it has to be warmed a bit. My question is at what temp does it need to be warmed before putting the food in? thx

Tenpoint5

Toker,
I have never warmed my cooler before putting the meat in for FTC. If you think that you really need to warm it somehow. I would suggest putting your towels in the dryer for a bit to warm them up.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Wildcat

FTC is simply a way of maintaining heat while waiting.  I have never found a need to heat the cooler.  Sometimes I simply wrap in foil and a towel and put in the microwave.  Some wrap in foil and place in a warm oven.  Just whatever works for you.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Toker

OK thx i might be confused with other thing cause i really red that some people warm it with hot water might be for something else sorry.

Wildcat

Some people do warm the cooler with hot water prior to FTC.  I simply have not seen a need to do so.  When FTC'ing, the whole principal us insulation to prevent or slow heat loss.

I personally do not FTC anything except when I finish cooking too soon before the meal is to be served.  I did FTC extensively at first, but really did not see where it was of much use except as a time buffer.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

smokeitall

I take the towels I am going to use and put them in the microwave to warm them up and stuff them in the cooler and close it up for at least 30 minutes.  After I wrap the butt or butts in foil I take out the towels and quickly wrap up the butts and put them right back in.  Works good for me.

Habanero Smoker

I have read that some use a heating pad to warm up their coolers, but I also think you could place an hair dryer in the cooler and run it for a short time, just make sure that the hair dryer is on some towels and is not in direct contact with the cooler.

I'm like Wildcat, I rarely FTC.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

IKnowWood

Habs, just as long as you don't use water first, might be ok.  But I would worry of moisture build up and then you got another problem.

Me, when I FTC (only butts, and primarily to let it cool slowly before putting in fridge.  I smoke it about a week before the serve to allow the bark and smoke to blend with the rest of the yummy food.  Only thing I FTC is Butt.  I only did a Brisket once, and I don't think I FTCd it.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Caneyscud

I'm with Wildcat - don't ftc either.  At most, I just leave in the smoker until it cools down and the meat rests.  If I finish early - or have to deliver it some where.  I just chuck them in a cooler that I have especially for that use - no foil, no towels - just something else to throw away or to clean.  Boy does that cooler smell good now.   Sometimes, I just have to go out in the garage and open that baby and stick my head inside and take a deep breath. 

Shakespeare
The Bard of Hot Aire
Pontificator Extraordinaire'
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

sherlock

Don't know why, but I have been putting hot water in the cooler about a half hour before I expect to need it. Then when meat is ready I just wrap in foil and towels, dump out the water, put in the wrapped meat and go away for a few hours until I need the meat. But then, what do I know................

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: IKnowWood on April 26, 2009, 02:32:16 PM
Habs, just as long as you don't use water first, might be ok.  But I would worry of moisture build up and then you got another problem.

Me, when I FTC (only butts, and primarily to let it cool slowly before putting in fridge.  I smoke it about a week before the serve to allow the bark and smoke to blend with the rest of the yummy food.  Only thing I FTC is Butt.  I only did a Brisket once, and I don't think I FTCd it.

The tip on the heating pad or dryer is for warming the cooler only; instead of having to deal with hot water. They are remove prior to the meat being placed in the cooler, so moisture is not a problem.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)