Rookie

Started by Troop14, April 25, 2009, 12:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troop14

Just seasoning my new digital 4 rack...the hickory smells beautiful and my neighbour's peeking through the hedge.  Want to try some pork back ribs tomorrow for my (our) 29th anniversary.  Any suggestions for a starter recipe?  Standing by....

Dave 

Mr Walleye

Hi Troop14 and welcome to the forum.

Congrats on your 29th Anniversary!

Everybodys definition of "tender" ribs is slightly different. I like mine pretty tender.

I usually cut each rack of back ribs in half and remove the membrane the night before. Next I give them a rub with olive oil, then hit them with the rub, wrap in plastic and store in the fridge till the next day. The next day I usually spray my racks with Pam and put the ribs on bone side down. I usually apply smoke for 3 hours at 220 degrees, then let them go 1 more hour without smoke at 220 degrees (total of 4 hours). Next I put the ribs in a tin foil roster pan with a shot of apple juice and cover with foil. I throw them back into the smoker at 220 degrees for 3 more hours (this part can be done in the oven as well). Next I take them out of the foil and fire them on the grill just long enough to sauce them. Next.... fill your face! 

Like I said everybody's idea of tender is different. Also, I don't FTC ribs. You may also want to rotate racks a few times during the cook as the lower rack in the cabinet may cook a little faster.

For a rub there are a few on the recipe site Click Here Jan's Dry Rub is a nice all round rub that can be found in that link as well.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Troop14

Thanks Mike....looks like something I can handle.  I'll get the rub going and look forward to my first smoke tomorrow.  Saw Crown Royal pucks today at LeBaron Outdoor Sports in Mississauga, where I bought my outfit.  I like the whisky so the pucks must be great too.  I'm gonna try them next. 

Dave
Georgetown, Ontario

Mr Walleye

Keep us posted how you make out.

Once you get a couple of smokes under your belt  :D you will figure out how to tweak things like ribs to you own liking. You also may want to consider 2 hours smoke on your ribs for the first round. If you do opt for 2 hours of smoke instead of 3 I would still leave them in the first stage for a total of 4 hours. Your always better to rule on the side of too little than too much smoke until you find your preferred taste level.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Wildcat

Welcome to the forum.  I see Mike has got ya fixed up with the ribs.  Let us know how it turns out.  Lots of good recipes and other good information on the Recipe Site.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

KyNola

Welcome Dave,
Congratulations on your 29th anniversary.  My wife and I will celebrate 35 years in July.  My friend Mike has you hooked up.  His method is dead on.  The only thing I differ from him is after the smoke period in the BDS is I take them to the house oven as I can control the heat better.

Let us know how they turned out.  Don't be bummed if your first time out is not up to your expectations. You'll learn what you like after a few tries.

Smoke on!
  KyNola

Troop14

Thanks...will let you guys know how the ribs go.  I'll try the 2 hour test first Mike, good point.  Rushed into some chicken wings tonight, had a house full of 19 yr olds back from university to try them...a discriminating and savvy wing crowd.  My reputation was on the line, I felt the pressure but the wings were amazing.  Dry rub 1 hr in fridge(Montreal Steak Rub), smoke 1h40m with hickory and finish on the BBQ.

If that's an indication, or typical of the flavour from these smokers... with all the kids back home, it's going to a busy smoker.   Need some kind of outdoor table to set the smoker on.  Saw a "Woods" portable camp kitchen, had adequate top for the smoker and a few racks, a drawer and places to hang utensils.  Might do nicely.

Regards...

Dave     

Tenpoint5

Welcome Aboard Dave!!!! Looks like Mike has you hooked up for the ribs and your still posting so the Kids liked your wings. This is a fun adventure you have embarked upon.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!